plant suggestions for a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjacks

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just got a new 55gal tank n i want to put live plants in it..im gonna have tropical fish..plannin on some cherry barbs,glofish,a dwarf gourami and mayb guppies..i already have 3 otocinclus im gonna move from a smaller tank....not sure what kinda lights i have i had the tank long enough to clean it then ran out the door.. i have looked into java ferns ,java moss, n amazon swords...tjanks in advance

Crypts Anubias and swords are generally pretty easy to care for and don't need too much light or ferts so those would be good beginner plants.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
Crypts Anubias and swords are generally pretty easy to care for and don't need too much light or ferts so those would be good beginner plants.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe some java fern aswell.

Ok so i changed my fish n im mot sure if makes a difference on my plant selection...i decided i want glofish, clown barbs, bumble bee goby, n kuhli loach..then i might just leave my otos with my betta n my new 10gal i got today..well all but 1 cause im givin him to a friend..i know i read 1 of the fish nibble on plants to make surd i dont get soft plants ..i think it was the glo.. what substrate should i use i want a natural look thinkin black..but i dont want alot of cleanin time so i was thinkin mayb eco complete..what u guys think?

I just want to say I'd recommend the otos they are worth the money. I had a out break of algae and 5?ottos ate 25% of the algae in my tank within 2 days. But it's your choice good luck to you and your tank :)

I luv my otos i just was thinkin 3 in a 10gal is too many which i told my sister before she bought them but she didnt listen..then i figured with the kuhli loaches n i want to add some shrimp to my 55g once i set it up that itll b too many well cleaning crew so to speak.. but i definately luv the lil guys..

Sorry I didn't actually read what you wrote I just read that you might leave them I didn't read the rest I'm sorry.
I personally would recommend Indian ferns, they grow great with lights ranging from 4,200-7,500K they are not really root feeders. Mine grow really fast I have 10 and they grow around 2-3 inches a week so I have started to trim them and use them a floating plant. (from my experience) they do great with tetra products, my tiger barbs like to hide in them so the species of barbs you get might do the same.
Java ferns- I haven't had any good experience with these but my tank is bright so that why.
Java moss- yeah there really good I have them all over my tank and they have just started to take root on my bogwood.
Amazon swords- hmmm... I would be careful I added 5 and I made a mistake I didn't read into them properly. I would strongly recommend that you have good light anything above 4,200 and you use root tables and try and have no3/nitrate above 10ppm

The Substrate- I'm not sure about gravel and cleaning but I have this:

(all of this is a small layer)
Top layer it's broken down slate but it's really small and it give a great affect.
Next layer pea gravel
Next level tetra plant Substrate
Bottom layer pea Gravel (think its called that)

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the fish you have chosen but I hear they are good fish so it wouldn't hurt

Back
Top Bottom