Planted 2.5 aquascaping journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieJ

Aquarium Advice Freak
There's not much to initially say about this tank. I hadn't put a whole lot of effort into 'scaping it for my betta because I was focusing most of my attention on my 5g planted, but I still liked how it was turning out.

Long story short, there was a little wisteria, some dwarf hairgrass, and rotala rotoundifolia I was trying to grow out to eventually put in my 5g. I put in some hornwort so the betta could have some dimmer light before I left for winter vacation, and I was feeling pretty confident about him doing okay. His colors were bright, he was active, and there wasn't a scratch on him.

...That tank obviously went down the crapper during my 3-week break. I had someone come over and feed both tanks and top off water twice during the break, which I figured would be enough as long as I added Purigen to the 5g and heavily planted the 2.5 with some excess plants I already had. I cried for an hour upon coming home to a dead betta and an essentially dead tank - all of the rotala, wisteria and hornwort had died, there was algae everywhere, and the tank was only 50% full. The dwarf hairgrass was covered in algae but had still sent up runners, so I shrugged and decided to clean it and then replant it rather than throw it away along with everything else.

I spent well over 3 hours completely tearing down the tank, cleaning every rock, every inch of Eco-complete in alternating scalding hot and freezing cold water to purge any nasties that had surely flourished in the foul conditions. I know I killed most of the bacteria, but the filter pads were merely rinsed in the bad water, so there's definitely still some left in there. I'm going to wait 'till late January or early February before putting any shrimp in there.

Anyway, if this was a TL;DR, there is a point to this thread. XD; Other than just being a journal, I need some help with the aquascaping. Since I only plan to have shrimp in there, I'd like to focus on the plants more. I was thinking of a dwarf hairgrass carpet since the stuff obviously likes my water and high light, and the fact that I'm terrified of starting any HC or riccia (I hear they're hard to kick-off). I think I'll need to buy more Eco-complete or some other substrate to help the hairgrass really get their roots in there. Would ADA Aquasoil or Shrimp Stratum work in this case?

As far as background plants go, I think I'd want something thick, bushy and dark, to contrast the bright green of the DHG. Any suggestions? I'd rather not add CO2, but if I have to then I'd probably save up for a mini pressurized system to put CO2 in both of my tanks. Not sure if I want an Iwagumi-ish thing with rocks only or just have some driftwood and a few more plant species. I've attached pictures of the tank's progress over the last couple of months - it's still very young, I know.

Any aquascaping advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4665.jpg
    IMG_4665.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4963.jpg
    IMG_4963.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4968.jpg
    IMG_4968.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6010.jpg
    IMG_6010.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 77
Not much to say? That tank looks amazing assuming the first picture is killer!! Or did I read wrong?

EDIT:

Ah... Ok you tore it down. I liked it. Can you do something similar? Some plants and driftwood with the rocks? Really looked nice

Last edited:
Avoid the Stratum stuff. IME it is very dirty stuff. No amount of rinsing will help, in fact the more you try and rinse it the worse it gets. It is fragile and breaks down very quickly into a very fine powdery stuff. In a month or so your tank will be covered in this brown powdery stuff.

Ah, yeah, don't want to deal with powdered stuff and cloudy water, then. I'll probably just stick to Eco-complete, then. I love how it doesn't need to be rinsed.

And Convict, yeah, I had no choice but to tear it down. I suppose it'll be fun to be re'scaped, though. Whether it focuses on rocks or driftwood, I definitely want a carpeted look. Gonna buy some more DHG... what else would look nice in there? I have some java moss and a bit of driftwood; maybe I could make a bonsai-ish "tree"?

Got two bunches of dwarf hairgrass and a pot of microsword using a Live Aquaria giftcard I got for Christmas. :D Just waiting for them to get here in the next couple days. I *think* I might have an idea of where I want this to go; I want to use the microsword in the back, the DHG carpet-look, and maybe some rocks, driftwood or both to form sort of a transition between the foreground and background... kind of like this picture:

http://www.aquatouch.com/Images%20old%20site/Freshwater/Display%2010-2008%201.JPG

Would ludwigia repens also work as a background plant in this sense?

Well, I got the DHG and microsword today, and spent about 2 hours pulling them apart and planting them. They look pretty decent; I just hope they'll grow back okay after the anticipated die-off.

The funny thing I found is that even though I ordered 2 pots of DHG, Live Aquaria sent in 3. Has this happened to anyone else before? I didn't see an extra charge or anything. They also threw in a bag of what I think is Purigen or some sort of crushed rock-y thing for chemical filtration.

Here's a picture.

(And yes, that's a piece of paper serving as the tank's background. I need to find a proper white (or black? What would look better?) background at Petco or something.

Attachments

• IMG_6012.jpg
    IMG_6012.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom