Planted Bowls!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dwarf sag, Echinodorus tenellus, a few crypt undulata, although the dwarf sag is doing the most work, as intended. I also have duckweed and water lettuce in their as ammonia busters. There's also a microcosm of microinvertebrates that have gone bananas. I like the little buggers, but some might find them unsightly (eg, detritus worms). I have some new theories I'm working on that I'm testing in this bowl.

Should have some new tanks going up soon that I'll have threads for. Stay tuned.

Awesome, looking forward to it!

Uhh. Of course. :)

Haha yay! I bought a square betta bowl, added ADA substrate additives(bacter100, tourmalineBC, penacP), and used caribsea floramax Red. I put in it Pygmy chain swords all around a single H.Corymbosa as a centerpiece. I've got an emersed tub setup but I've never done a bowl, so we'll see if it progresses at all haha. I think when the chain swords fill in and the corymbosa grows up taller it will look neat

Attachments

• image-4152997970.jpg
    image-4152997970.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3921453589.jpg
    image-3921453589.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3719895589.jpg
    image-3719895589.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 129
  • image-4066441357.jpg
    image-4066441357.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 135
Haha yay! I bought a square betta bowl, added ADA substrate additives(bacter100, tourmalineBC, penacP), and used caribsea floramax Red. I put in it Pygmy chain swords all around a single H.Corymbosa as a centerpiece. I've got an emersed tub setup but I've never done a bowl, so we'll see if it progresses at all haha. I think when the chain swords fill in and the corymbosa grows up taller it will look neat

Looks super cute zim. ;) :lol:

Emersed

What a great idea!
:popcorn:

a few teaser pics of the one I started today! I was gonna post a full shot but it some how got deleted from my phone and I'm to lazy to get up right this second! flora include moneywort and a unidentifed plant! fauna includes a few pond snails and soon a few ghost shrimp!
image-1119391363.jpg

image-571141996.jpg

image-4183211701.jpg

image-2975911406.jpg

EDIT:: ignore the tape it's holding the driftwood in place, I'm hoping it'll be water logged soon!

This is a great idea! I have an old betta bowl sitting around (don't worry it doesn't house fish anymore, just when I was young and naieve)

Couple of questions though! Do they need a light? Or can I just sit it next to my planted 9 gallon and use a light from that.
Do they need water changes?

I was bored so i made one today in a half hour. Lol. Just needs some more plants. :/

Specs:
1in of MGOCPM
Flora max
Sand

Plants: (need to get more:/)
Bacopa Caroliana
A. Reineckii
Java Moss
HC clipping just for fun

Attachments

• image-2841426042.jpg
    image-2841426042.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 124
  • image-834839222.jpg
    image-834839222.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 121
  • image-1109259449.jpg
    image-1109259449.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 137
so I decided I didn't like the way mine looked so I rearranged some stuff!! pictures to come in the morning! I'm gonna add 2-3 ghost shrimp tomorrow or monday!

I have been using a 6500K bulb curly CFL(from Ace hardware/daylight, but check the box as they had the same bulbs listed as daylight but one was 4100K) in a decorative table lamp. Works good.

A helpful hint, don't use too many snails fyi, they are soooo poopy, lol.

I read through this thread a bit, and found a use for the 1 gal. bowl that had been sitting in my closet :) Just kinda threw it together this evening, it's still super cloudy because HC is a PAIN to plant. It also has an anubias nana and a piece of seiryu stone (that you can hardly see right now).

I read through this thread a bit, and found a use for the 1 gal. bowl that had been sitting in my closet :) Just kinda threw it together this evening, it's still super cloudy because HC is a PAIN to plant. It also has an anubias nana and a piece of seiryu stone (that you can hardly see right now).

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/bud2_9/media/101_5451_zps1ac35931.jpg.html

I imagine HC would be a pain to plant in that little bowl! Now think about how tight it's gonna be when you have to trim it! Haha, you'll have to use nail clippers! :lol:

I imagine HC would be a pain to plant in that little bowl! Now think about how tight it's gonna be when you have to trim it! Haha, you'll have to use nail clippers! :lol:

Haha, yeah, it'll definitely be a challenge! But, what has proven to be a BIGGER challenge is keeping the stuff planted. No matter how hard I tried today it kept floating back up :facepalm: So, as a solution, I'm just going to do DSM to get it rooted :lol: We'll see how that goes ;)

Here is a photo (poor but better than the last one) of how it is now:

I like it!! I'm sure it'll be hard to trim the HC, but I'm sure it will look awesome!

So today I got 2 ghost shrimp for my vase/bowl, After I saw the ghost shrimp swimming all over the bag I decided they needed something a little bigger, so I quickly put together a bowl, it's literally a glass mixing bowl that I stole it from my mom a few months back when I needed a temp place for my betta... anyways the bowl is 1 and a half gallons its about 12ins wide so plenty if room! The bowl isn't planted yet because I didn't have enought extras but as soon as I have extra plants they'll get some, I have some moss that practically doubles in size everyday so they'll get some of that next week! I have some tiny little terra cotta pots with them and earlier today they were both just chilling in the pots, it was adorable, I think I have an addiction!

So I found this thread and threw this little thing together in 47 minutes and 52 seconds! (Yes I timed myself)
I plan to go to petsmart and try a real one this weekend with a bigger bowl.

Attachments

• image-2201698703.jpg
    image-2201698703.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 145
Wow! I love this thread! Such awesome bowls!

I want one!

Seriously going bowl shopping tomorrow.
Now, where can I put it so the cats don't knock it over? Hmm...

Back
Top Bottom