Planted tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CamERER

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone give me any advice for starting a planted tank in my african cichlid tank? I am thinking about doing dwarf hairgrass. What plants would look good, live in the high ph, and not get eaten by the africans? Anything helps. Thx

Anubias are usually recommended as they have a harder leaf. There are lots of varieties so you can get some tiny, A. nana Petite "Mini", some ovid, round, medium, small and small with more yellow leaves - A. nana petite & A. n. p. "Golden", lance shaped and some with HUGE leaves A. Barteri, and vining, lol!

Yeah I've had anubias but the africans just eat it. I read up that they will leave dwarf grass alone so I wanted to try it. Do u think that will work?

I can't say that I've ever seen DHG in any African cichlid tank.
Aside from any digging habits, you will need to address the requirements of growing the DHG. Size of tank, lighting, ferts?

I have a 150 gallon tall and about to buy a new light.

I vote stick with fake silk or plastic plants. Live plants are a nightmare in African tanks. They will eat them, uproot them, and destroy any plant you put in there. I went through about $50 in plants before I gave up.

Back
Top Bottom