Planted Tank Newbie - Advice Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparky2335r

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm thinking about starting into live plants and was looking for recommendations on low tech/maintenance plants. I have a couple million questions and have done some research already but to start:

The guy at the LFS said if I do add some live plants to not just start with one because it could cause algae problems, he said to start with 3? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Based on the forums, it looks like Java Fern, Java Moss and Anubias are the best starter plants and don't need a ton of maintenance. If I went with some combination of these, do I have to worry about fertilizer/substrate/co2?

About my tank:
My 35g tank is 12"Dx18"Tx36"W and I have a Current Satellite+ 36" fixture, 28PAR rated at that height, so I'm thinking I should be good as far as lighting goes. The substrate is pea gravel I got at the hardware store and current stocking is:
6 neons
4 xray tetras
3 gouramis
2 swordtails
2 Luccipinis cats
1 clown pleco

Do I need to worry about any of these fish eating plants?

Sorry for all the questions, I just like to make sure I know what I'm doing/what I'm getting into!

All advice is MUCH Appreciated!

20150423_185423.jpg

Not sure about the plants you want to have, but I had a clown pleco that tore apart my Amazon sword and ate all the leaves off my anacharis. He did seem to leave my Anubias nana alone for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should be able to grow quite a few low-med plants. As well as the ones you've listed there are hygrophyllias, crypts, Amazon swords, lace fern, vals.
This is a broad range of plants that I believe you could start with and get to thrive in your tank. You would need to supply liquid carbon and also root tabs are recommended for most plants.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430772601.384123.jpg

Back
Top Bottom