Planted Tank upgrade and questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So about the PPS-pro dosing, how do you tweak the dosing? I've been reading on TPT about people adjusting the amount of Phosphate, but how is that possible when predetermined amounts are already mixed?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You get all the ingredients bagged separate and you take a gram scale and measure out the grams according to the recipe. There's an excel worksheet I downloaded, you just plug in the mL you want to mix up and it'll give your the measurements of each fertilizer salt.

Here's how it would come if you order it from GLA. I ordered the scale on Amazon.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7268/8165618251_f69ceb318f_b.jpg

I do understand that part. I actually just ordered the ferts and downloaded the calculator and was playing with it a few minutes ago.
My question is about how you change the amount of one specific component after you have already mixed all the ingredients together and have been dosing it. I've read about people having algae or a deficiency, so they tweaked the actual ratio of their ferts- phosphate, for example.
Would you just add a little extra into the bottle?

I suppose you could. But I usually just finish my bottle and make alterations during the next batch. The only think I've changed from the default recipe is the PO4 increase. Everybody seems to have their own method of tweaking it to their needs. I find this to work fine for me.

Oh ok thanks. And what do most people use to measure out the liquid? Some type of syringe?

That's a great idea! Thanks for all the help Brian.

I like the pump bottle idea!! NanoJack used some lotion bottles, I'm going to hit Walmart this weekend and see what I can find..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405748153.371072.jpg
Man the color on the bottom side of these AR leaves is unreal... This piece got uprooted during a WC. Makes me wish the leaves grew upside down!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405797101.271268.jpg
Anyone know why my rotala is growing sideways?
My PPS-pro pack should be here any day!:)

Mine does that close to the outflow..

That stem on the top is close to the outflow, but it's not getting pushed around. And other pieces that are far from the outflow are doing the same thing.

That stem on the top is close to the outflow, but it's not getting pushed around. And other pieces that are far from the outflow are doing the same thing.

Hmm, maybe they're just sad??

I've heard of stem plants growing sideways when the lighting is really high, I just didn't think mine was that strong.

Yours is pretty strong, consider the stem plants get up higher meaning the intensity/par is far greater. You may have answered your own question

It doesn't get any direct light shining on it, but there are windows across the room.
Edit: You know- I bet that's what it is! A few days ago I started doing a siesta photoperiod. That's when the bend started getting more extreme. And I bet during the time the tank lights are off during the day the plants reach towards the windows.. That would make sense!

My lights don't come on until later in the afternoon and the plants will bend toward the windows even when the shades are drawn. Sounds like the same thing with you siesta period.

Back
Top Bottom