Planting a 30 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've used. Play sand in all my aquariums. Love it and it's cheap

Interesting. I learned that of those four plants, only the crypts are supposed to be planted into the substrate. Is that correct?

Get a container and put tank water in it and put the plants in there and they will be okay for a day. You can replant them as soon as you put the new substrate in.

You can get the substrate changed out in one day easily.

Here is one of the best sites I ever found about different types of sand.... Aquarium Sand Resource.

Anubia, Java Ferns, and Bolbitus prefer being tied onto DW or rocks. I have some of all three of these tied onto quite small rocks and sitting on the bottom of tanks were they have all done extremely well and actually sent roots down into the substrate and crept right off the rocks and onto the substrate. Here's an example in my 55g, and note how the roots are already going down into the substrate and soon the plant will keep growing to were it too will be spread onto the substrate... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 55g Planted- Nano fish - Picture. The Crypt gets planted normally.

Get a container and put tank water in it and put the plants in there and they will be okay for a day. You can replant them as soon as you put the new substrate in.

You can get the substrate changed out in one day easily.

Here is one of the best sites I ever found about different types of sand.... Aquarium Sand Resource.

Anubia, Java Ferns, and Bolbitus prefer being tied onto DW or rocks. I have some of all three of these tied onto quite small rocks and sitting on the bottom of tanks were they have all done extremely well and actually sent roots down into the substrate and crept right off the rocks and onto the substrate. Here's an example in my 55g, and note how the roots are already going down into the substrate and soon the plant will keep growing to were it too will be spread onto the substrate... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 55g Planted- Nano fish - Picture. The Crypt gets planted normally.

That was a really good read, thanks! I think I'm going to be able to do this then, and I'll post pics when I'm done. I've heard washing plants before putting them in the tank is good especially to avoid snails, so I'll be doing that as well.

Use 1 part Hydrogen peroxide to 4 parts water to soad the plants in while doing your change. Peroxide kills most snails, eggs, algae, and other hitch hikers.

Use 1 part Hydrogen peroxide to 4 parts water to soad the plants in while doing your change. Peroxide kills most snails, eggs, algae, and other hitch hikers.

Alright, I will definitely do that. Also, what kind of liquid fertilizer would you recommend?

For those plants all you'd need is Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive used weekly after a WC. Then root tabs for any crypts. There are many different sized crypts you can use from tall to short so they don't all have to be the same.

Well, long story short, not one place in my area has pool filter sand. The only thing left is play sand. I've read on here that some of you use it. Rivercats, would you recommend it?

Well, I guess what's the worst that can happen?

Edit: Also, would I clean it the way I'd clean pfs? As in, put it in. A bucket, and rinse with a hose?

Alright thanks! I kinda forgot, but I'm assuming the one on the left is the anubia?

Attachments

• image-2952692129.jpg
    image-2952692129.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 54
Here's a better pic

Attachments

• image-1945199802.jpg
    image-1945199802.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 58
Also, should I remove the sponge around the roots of the plants when I plant them?

It's kind of hard to see what's in the bucket but you can google anubia's and see what they look like.

Yes, remove the plant from the pot, then remove as much of the rock wool as possible.

It's kind of hard to see what's in the bucket but you can google anubia's and see what they look like.

Yes, remove the plant from the pot, then remove as much of the rock wool as possible.

Thanks, I did, and im pretty sure I attached the right plant to the driftwood. But wow it was CLOUDY! The fish couldn't go in for a while, but I think it'll all be alright. The tank looks great!

When I clean sand I-

Fill a bottle with sand

Put the bottle in water upright until it stops bubbling

Flip the bottle over and dump out the sand.

All the floaty particles will stay in the bottle.

Here's a quick update pic! Sand hasn't completely settled out quite yet, but it looks pretty good!

Attachments

• image-1248583957.jpg
    image-1248583957.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 56
Here's a quick update pic! Sand hasn't completely settled out quite yet, but it looks pretty good!

Aw! I was hoping you didn't do it yet so you could use my sand cleaning method. It's rather unknown. It worked perfectly for me though. I got 0 cloudiness:

Aw! I was hoping you didn't do it yet so you could use my sand cleaning method. It's rather unknown. It worked perfectly for me though. I got 0 cloudiness:

Yeah I wish I would've seen that beforehand! Well thanks anyway!

Back
Top Bottom