plants algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tim4072

Aquarium Advice Newbie
has any tried using hydrogen peroxide to kill algae. there seems to be mixed success all over the internet. i am thinking of using the common 3% solution and about 20-25ml in a 10 gallon planted tank. any advice?

Can you link me up to some instances?

I don't see what in hydrogen peroxide would possibly kill algae. I might try it if it was a plant only tank but I don't think i'd put fish through it.

You might want to take 1 plant that has algae on it and put it in a bowl of tank water and try the peroxide dip and see what it does to the plant. Might want to check the water parameters before and after also.

`The fish can take Hydrogen Perioxide because I have used it to restore oxygen levels in the aquarium.But if your using a huge amount of hydrogen perioxide I don't reccoment fish in there.

One of the people on another board that I frequent has used Hydrogen Peroxide with great success to remove BBA from his plants. He treated them outside of the aquarium and rinsed them afterwards to help prevent getting too much H2O2 in the tank. Some plants were much more tolerant of the treatment than others. He dipped the main plant but not the roots.

If you decide to try this, keep in mind that it is a short term solution and to keep the algae from coming back you will need to get the nutrients in your tank balanced.

What Purrbox said is ture to get your nutrient levels balanced,but another way of eradicating algae is to over dose Excel from its reccomended amounts.I have injected Excel in certain areas where algae was abundant and it eventually dissappeared.

Back
Top Bottom