Plants/Fish and hard water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjsans

Aquarium Advice Regular
As I mentioned in the past, I switched over my 125 gal. tank from well water to spring water. My well water is extremely hard and greatly limited my choice of fish let alone growing any type of plant. I want a planted aquarium. Nothing grows in my well water except maybe pond plants and algae, (at least in my pond they grow well. Also, algae is starting to build up on the glass since I lost my Pleco. I loved that fish but any plant that was placed in the tank ended up uprooted. (He/she was 12 in.) I have no algae eater right now.

Secondly, this spring water is very labor intensive. Not only do I have to depend on others to hull the water from a local natural spring, but I have to have my husband lift and pour 5 gal. buckets into a pot so I can heat it on the stove to the right temp. Then the heavy pot of water is transferred into a bucket so I can pour it into the tank. This is done every 3-4 days for evaporation. Regular water changes for water quality?? - Sorry guys, NO WAY.

I'm ready to switch back to my well water out of the tap. I have a python to drain 20%, or whatever, out the door then hook it up to the sink to refill.

Any plant and fish suggestions for extremely hard water? I didn't get the test tube method of measuring water quality yet, but the Easystrips show hardness at 300+, alkalinity somewhere between 120-180, pH 7.2. We have a UV light in the well. Nitrates show slightly colored but below 20.

:thanks:

Sounds like you are ready for an African cichlid tank. Another choice is to go with livebearers, including mollies or Australian rainbowfish. Water changes are the easiest way to keep your fish healthy, so it would be easier in your case to go with fish which enjoy your water conditions.

Believe it or not, I had an Af. Cichlid tank - for many years. I had this 125 gal. tank since around 2006. I started with the Cichlids and lots of rock. Pleco and the Red Tailed Botia was from a previous 65 hex. (Do they really live that long?) I just couldn't get rid of the Botia so he and Pleco were kept with the Cichlids. When I changed to spring water last year I couldn't believe he/she was still alive. I never saw it, even at night. I love a well planted community tank and when my son changed over his 20 gal. to spring water with beautiful plants and some of my favorite fish, I had to try it in my tank. My husband hated the all rock look, and frankly, so did I. So we did the change over. Well, my son did all the work.

Rainbows like plants. Where would I be with that? Any thoughts on pond plants? I know I can grow them.

Thanks all

I have well water also, extremely hard and PH of about 8.4. Never had any trouble with plants as long as I stick to hardy, easy care plants.
Not sure what you're looking for, but in addition to Malawi and S Amer cichlids, I have kuhli, yoyo, and chinese weather loaches; pictus catfish; 5 types of cory catfish; Australian rainbows; neon tetras; gourami; and of course koi, goldfish, and local native catfish. All do fine in my well water.

Fish/Plants

Talk to me..... What plants????? I have gourami and neons. Your have rainbows with that? What did you mix and match with? Half those fish I never even heard of. I have a cat fish that no one can ID. Its on my phone and I can't transfer it. I thought it was a polka dot cat but pics on the net are misleading. It's huge so it's definitely not an Upside Down, but it looks like a giant version:eek:

Last edited:
I'm no plant expert by a long shot, but I have some type of anubias, java fern, a short (3-4"0 type of bunch grass, several marimo moss balls in various tanks, and a type of stemmy, small leaved floating plant that is fairly prolific. I tried duckweed once, but it soon takes over.
And yes, I have rainbows with neon tetras. Never had any problem. Not a recommended mix, but my nephew tore down a tank when he went to college, and the only tank I had with space was my community tank. It's heavily planted though, with several artificial plants added to the mix, so the neons have plenty of hiding places.
As for your catfish, planetcatfish.com has a huge data base. It may take some time, but you could go through pics to find your mystery fish. I'm not sure what you mean by "polka-dot" cat. Many synodontis species have spots. Cuckoo cats ate whitish with brownish spots, but don't get very large. Pictus cats are whitish to light grey with black spots, but also don't get very large.

Fish/Plants

Thanks for the site. It's a Synodontis nigrita . As I said, it looks like a giant Upside Down cat. I had 2 but lost one to Ick. They never hung out together. They preferred opposite ends of the tank until one got sick. Then they were inseparable.
My son just brought home yesterday, an Algae Eater, 6 Tiger Bards, 3 Clown Loaches, and a Betta of all things. There go all my fins. Plus he got several sword plants. All this when I just got finished telling him that I was going back to well water.
I had these fish before everyone got Ick and fungus infections and didn't want to add anything for a while. I have a feeling that the 6.2 pH (stress) on top of the unstable heater I had, contributed to my sick tank. I still am having trouble with the temp. I had both heaters set at 72 and my tank was up to 80. Last night I unplugged 1 heater and raised the remaining heater to 74. I also kept the lights off, although I don't think the lights should raise the temp. as my son believes. Never has before. This morning it's 77.3 - Better. Now I'll turn on the lights and watch.

Here we go again......

77.3 is a better temp anyway. 72 seems a bit chilly. I usually keep my tanks at 76-80, depending upon the tank. What brand of heaters are you using? Maybe they're malfunctioning? Also, how warm do you keep your house? If your house is warm, the tanks should eventually match room temp, and the heaters won't have to work very hard to raise the temp above room temp. You're going to have an active tank, with all the species you have in it. Should be fun to watch.

No, I'm wrong about the Algae Eater. (He said there was an Algae Eater but I haven't seen it yet.)
It's a Yoyo Loach. It should be kept in a group like the Clowns, but there is only one, and it's freaking out at the moment, swimming around the tank like it lost it's mind. I fed them so I think I'll turn out the light to calm things.
My house is kept at 67-68 year round. No joy there, at least for the tank temp.
My son elevated the lights so they wouldn't be directly on the glass. The temp seems to remain stable so far. Monday I'll see about getting some more Loaches.
Now, if I could only solve the 6.2 pH and the spring water hassle.

I've not had any problems with fish or plants either and I have extremely hard water.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Back
Top Bottom