Plants for Goldfish and Plecos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeknightica

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, guys! I'm looking for some tall plants and mosses for a couple of tanks of mine.

One is a small goldfish tank of fantails who's nitrate level I'm having trouble with. I figured that some plants would be the best thing since sliced bread for that, but the problem is that they eat everything because, well, they're goldfish.

My other one is a column community tank that doesn't really have any problems, but I'd still like some plants to go in it. My trouble there is the pleco and silver dollars and even my three-spot gourami.

What kinds of plants would be best for these tank without being eaten? Thanks, guys! :}

I have both a Pleco and three spot Gourami also had gold fish. I swear by java ferns and amazon swords.

Yeah java moss would work. They love hiding on it [emoji16][emoji1]

I also have two silver dollars, do you think that they would nibble at it?

Well I think your silver dollars will destroy everything lol! I remember someone saying they even eat silk plants haha! It seems java ferns are very hardy and they well eat new growth I think they should survive a while. Moss should be okay

Well I think your silver dollars will destroy everything lol! I remember someone saying they even eat silk plants haha! It seems java ferns are very hardy and they well eat new growth I think they should survive a while. Moss should be okay

I put Java in my gold fish tank and it lasted about a week lol they will eat anything! Every plant I've put in there so far has been destroyed in a week ;) they will eat anything!

They didn't eat my java ferns you must have greedy goldfish Haha

They didn't eat my java ferns you must have greedy goldfish Haha

Haha well they did come from a pond out the front of my house so maybe they got used to eating plants ;)

If you are having issues with nitrates, plants are not the way to go to fix the issue. The plants take care of the symptom, not the cause. Get yourself on a much more frequent maintenance schedule. The general rule of thumb is once a week 20% water change and a once a month filter clean. Although every single aquarium is different and you may need more than that.

I am not saying to not buy plants, they will certainly help. Just don't buy any plants that you don't want to be completely ravaged as everything you own eats plants like crazy.

Plain Moss balls are also good. Try live bacteria to help your fish settle in and filter get fully established [emoji16]

How small is the tank for the gold fish? Gold fish require a big tank is say 80g minimum and some serious filtration (there very dirty fish) you would want a minimum of 8x tank turn over per hour with your filter and I'd pack it with seachem matrix fine sponge and coarse sponge.

I use big filters and matrix for my Oscar tank and it works a dream!

If you are having issues with nitrates, plants are not the way to go to fix the issue. The plants take care of the symptom, not the cause. Get yourself on a much more frequent maintenance schedule. The general rule of thumb is once a week 20% water change and a once a month filter clean. Although every single aquarium is different and you may need more than that.

I am not saying to not buy plants, they will certainly help. Just don't buy any plants that you don't want to be completely ravaged as everything you own eats plants like crazy.

I do my weekly partial water changes along with some things for the ammonia which is where it starts. I'm hoping that the plants will at least lower it a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom