Plants from Petsmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatatonicBug

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just made my second purchase of aquarium plants from Petsmart. I have two different stores within equal distance from my house, so this time I went to a different store than I did last time. The first store has a tank with plants of various types under lights, weighted down with lead weights, but they really have no roots on them, as they seem to be just recent cuttings.

At the second store, the plants are all in little, sealed tubes with gel to keep them moist, but they are not in water. However, these plants actually have roots on them! I am really new to the planted tank scene, and I am wondering if one is better than the other, or does it really matter to the plants' ability to become quickly established in my tank. Does anyone have an opinion either way?

Be wary buying plants from petsmart. They are notorious for selling plants that are marginal - live just part of their life underwater. Thus when they are fully submerged for long periods, they begin to rot and die. Take note of the names of the plants you purchased (or are going to purchase) and research them, or list them here.

My petsmart only ever had amazon swords and java fern as 'real' aquatic plants - the rest were marginal.

You're much more likely to find true aquatics in the submersed setup at PetSmart than those plastic tubes. I'd say about 75% are true aquatics in the submersed setup, vs only 10% or less in the plastic tubes. Definately research your plants before buying to 1. make sure that they are true aquatics, and 2. ensure that they are appropriate for you aquarium. As long as the plant is a stem plant, there's no problem with them not having roots. Stem plants will grow new roots in very short order.

Stem plants will grow new roots in very short order.

Ok, next question then... What is "short order"? I am impatient... I have had plants from the submerged section in my tank for a few weeks, and I see no roots yet. My sevrum keeps pulling them up and I have to keep re-planting them, so I see the root growth (or lack thereof). I know my lighting isn't wonderful, but it seems like I'm having more of the plants fall apart than are growing.

I have heard here that "Java" plants are good for newbies like me, and so that was what I got in the tubes. That and the sword stuff. I figured those two were talked about quite a bit here, so I would try them in my little office tank. Was that an OK choice?

Unfortunately the amount of time that it takes stem plants to grow new roots varies between plants and aquariums. In a lower light aquarium where plant growth is slower it will take longer for roots to grow. If a plant is being constantly uprooted this will also slow things down. For that type of situation I would probably float the plants until they started to develop roots and then plant them to give them a better chance.

Right now, I know I have way to little light on my 47g. It's a single 18" bulb, in the stock fixture that came with the tank. I need to change it, but my wife has killed my budget for fish stuff for a while (I have to search the couch cushions and the car ash tray for change now :) ). I had put a new 18,000K bulb on it, but it looked too blueish and my wife made me return it. I exchanged it for a new 2,800k bulb that I put on my 10g.

My 10g has a single 2,800k bulb, and it's still cycling with plants in it. I keep that light on 24/7 in an effort to boost the plant growth. As the Sevrum pulls up the plants in the 47g, I have been transplanting them to the 10g as a nursery. I also figured they would help add bacteria to the cycle in the 10g. I use Flourish as my fert in both tanks.

I currently have Cabomba and some other tall, fuzzy bright green plant (picture of it is here, on the left) growing in the 47 and 10g tanks. They have been struggling with the sevrum's need to uproot them.

Keeping your lights on 24/7 is not good for plants. They need a resting period like most living things. When pushing plant growth 12 hours is sufficient.

Understand your financial situation, but you'll get better growth if you get bulbs in the 5000k to 10000k range. And agreed, plants need to rest too.

Understand your financial situation, but you'll get better growth if you get bulbs in the 5000k to 10000k range. And agreed, plants need to rest too.
The reason I have the 2,800K bulb is that it was specifically advertised as designed for planted aquariums. None of the other bulbs were as directed toward plants. It was called "Flora-Glo" on the package. That was why I went with that bulb.

The reason I have the 2,800K bulb is that it was specifically advertised as designed for planted aquariums. None of the other bulbs were as directed toward plants. It was called "Flora-Glo" on the package. That was why I went with that bulb.

If you can take it back and return it. Then go to your local hardware store and pick up a bulb with the appropriate K rating. There's absolutely no need to pick up a bulb advertised for good plant growth. Most of the time the generic bulbs are just as good if not better.

Ok... I just got a new 5000K bulb (which is the highest K they sell at Home Depot). It was a lot cheaper than the ones at the LFS, so I was happy about that. I'm kinda confused though. Even the bulbs at Home Depot that were specifically labeled as Plant Bulbs were 2700K. Why don't these work as advertised?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom