Plants starting out ok, I guess, but now algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristap

Aquarium Advice Regular
I think everything is/was going smoothly and then ... some algae. My goal for the tank is a nicely planted, clean look without too much maintenance. I replanted the tank about 2.5wks ago with a nice bundle of med-light plants and have, even prior to this replanting, been doing weekly 50% water changes. I think my numbers look good but I wonder now that this is starting to appear on most all of my plants (esp the slow growers) and even on some glass. Diatoms are to be expected but is this? Is it an early sign that something is amiss?

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

My numbers:
ph:6.6
gh: 6
kh: 4 (bumped 1x week with 1tsp baking soda)
no2: 0
no3: 12.5
po4: 1.0
co2: 30
My current dosing regimen:
3x week with seachem potassium
1x week seachem comprehensive
2x week seachem nitrogen
1x week seachem iron

Flora
(balansae, grn wendtii, red wendtii, tiger lotus, narrow leaf chain sword, java fern, anubias pygmy, anubias barteri, anubias coffeefolia, dwarf sag, corkscrew val)

That looks like fuzz algae, usually not too terribly hard to fight. Your nutrient levels all look good. CO2 at 30 ppm is excellent. Your lighting at 2wpg is great and 10 hours per day is perfect. What type of filter are you using?

When I used to have problems with fuzz algae like that I did the same thing you are doing: monitored nutrient levels, made sure every thing was in line, and it still pestered me. I finally took a good look at my canister filter and found that it was incredibly fouled with algae and needed to have the mechanical (i.e. sponge) media cleaned/changed. Once I cleaned my filter thoroughly and continued to keep nutrients in balance, the algae disappeared. It took a week or two, but it did go away. Also, if you don't already have some, algae eaters like SAEs, Flag Fish, otocinclus, or shrimp really help too. I'm interested to see how this turns out for you. Please keep us posted and good luck :)

I'm using a penguin bio-wheel filter which hanges on the back of the tank. I was afraid to switch to a canister filter as I don't want to have to put a hole in the side of the tank.

Maybe it's time for media change - thanks as I hadn't thought of that. A little 'doh' moment for me right there. Thanks for the idea!

Just so you know a cannister filter does not require the tank to be drilled. Your CO2 readings but be inaccurate due to the bio wheel causing outgassing of CO2.

I did remove the wheels as I read on here that they exascerbate the CO2 outgassing. Do you think it's still an issue to use the hob - the surface disturbance is pretty minor without the wheels (no splashing or anything like that) as the water level is nearly constant from the filter to the main body of water.

I would wait first if the algae dissapears, then you might not have to buy a new filter. But I've also heard from a lot of people that a canister filter is better for planted tanks anyway.

Back
Top Bottom