Plastic plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fred

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I finally have my 55g set up the way I want. Can't have real plants because the silver dollars eat them, however I bought lots of fake plants. My question is what is the best way to clean them? I took them out tonight and scrubbed them by hand, alot of work!!! Is there an easier way? Here's some pics too.... Proud fishy momma :)

Attachments

• image-2428913125.jpg
    image-2428913125.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 64
  • image-4206150492.jpg
    image-4206150492.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 64
I should add the algae I'm dealing with is the dreaded brown diatom. My tank has been established for over 2 years now, don't know why the breakout now.

I really like your tank! I just bought a 55 today, I hope mine can look as nice. I think the best way to clean them is just how you did, that's how I clean mine from my other tank. Maybe more frequently means less scrubbing? If you find out let me know.

Ya my water is good... Nitrates can get high, just gotta maintain my weekly pwc! I also switched out alot of my fish. When I bought the tank it had 3 common pleco... Now I have none and replaced with a clown pleco ( who is adorable :). I thought getting rid of the huge bio load would help, but it's still a struggle! Thanks for the compliment btw :). I'm in love with my 55... gonna upgrade to a 125g soon so I can get more clown loaches :)

Sweet! I was thinking 100g next but.....you talked me into a 125 or 50. Anyway plecos have a huge bioload, not suire if you did a thorough gravel vac but you want to keep the nitrates within mid range. And yes, the weekly pwc are a must. :)

Btw I bought a standard Bn pleco. about 2 inches long and it was playing tug of war with a dwarf for an algae wafer.

Lol...I hated my commons they never ate algae and are fugly!!! My clown pleco hides alot right now but I'm sure he'll come around! Maybe o need to remove the gravel and give it a thorough cleaning.... I don't know, big job especially since I have 4 real kids to care for ;)

Removing the gravel is not a good idea. ALOT of beneficial bacteria live in the substrate, if you remove all of it you risk a mini cycle. When my nitrates are high I will do a pwc>20% and vacuum the gravel. Vacuum half of the gravel one weekend and other half the next. You sound really busy!

I vacuum my gravel every week :). This brown algae is killing me though. I have to scrape the glass, clean the rocks and driftwood and plants every week!

I am busy...lol...4 boys under the age of 6, 2 tanks, 2 dogs, a husband and my house it's never ending :)

Hold off on the vacuuming until it coincides with the proper nitrate levels. You're going to have to keep cleaning but also daily water changes. What kind of filtration do you have?

I have a fluval xp3 canister... If I don't vacuum the brown algae covers the substrate??

Also try these:
Add an oxygen stone, do not over feed -every other day once a day, poor lighting. Excess nutrients are leading cause though.

By oxygen stones, do you mean bubbles? Lol I have 2. I only feed every other day, shrimp and bloodworms. Algae wafers once a week and cucumber or zucchini fir the pleco and silver dollars.

Back
Top Bottom