Platy acting weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjrossi88

Aquarium Advice Freak
I keep finding my Mickey mouse platy sitting at the top of my tank. Almost like he's gasping for air. I've checked the parameters and everything checks out fine. There are 10 other fish in the tank that are acting perfectly normal. It joined the rest in feeding but was not as enthusiastic as it has been. I've only had them for 3 days but haven't seen anything out of the ordinary until now.

Any suggestions as to what could be going on??

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1432520309774.jpg
    1432520309774.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 47
It ventures around the tank every once in a while but always goes back up into one of the top corners

No, the platys swim around peacefully. I do have 3 mollies, 1 of which seems to chase the other 2 from time to time. Could it be stressed out from being chased?

Checked this morning and can't find it. That makes 2 platys unaccounted for. Assuming the ducked under the middle ornament in my tank. If they don't pop out tonight I may have to pull that ornament up and see if they're still alive.

On a good note, the one that was acting weird has become more comfortable and seems perfectly fine. In a sad note, I found the one that was missing dead under my decor ?. I purchased 8 rummy nose tetras, 3 mollies, and 3 platys. I have lost 5 tetras and 1 platy in a week and my water parameters have been spot on every day and temp is good. None of them had shown any signs of sickness before dying. Am I doing something wrong here or just a stroke of bad luck with a bad batch??

Its probably a bad batch.. Platy's are mass produced and therefore their health can be not so great from the start

All of these fish are mass produced I agree you likely got a bad batch from the store. Even some of the most experienced aquarists here have had unexplainable deaths that we just have to point back to bad stock.

Caleb

That's what I'm hoping it was. I plan on ordering the rest of my stock next week and obviously don't want to be introducing new fish to a sick tank

Back
Top Bottom