Platy giving birth!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jujubee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 4 platys in my 10 gallon tank. I'm going to guess she was pregnant when I got her then again I've had her for a month now...what is the best way I can keep the fry alive!? There are tons of plants but should I get a little separate housing that floats in the tank and let her give birth in there?? I want to keep a few of the fry ahh I wasn't expecting this. I knew she was preggers and was waiting on 2 tanks to arrive. Any suggestions?

You could leave the fry in the tank with the adults most will survive if your platys are anything like mine. Or you can move her to a separate container and let her give birth there then move her back after she gives birth, the container doesn't have to be a fish tank. I think if you leave them in with the adults you will have more fry than you want though. I'm just speaking (I guess typing) from my experience.

Since this is her first go around I'm not expecting a lot of fry. I did run to get a small one gallon I put water from my 10 gallon into the tank with some fake plants for the fry to hide in. I was going to leave her in the big tank but she quickly ate her first baby! I figured separation would be the best :) it was exciting none the less haha. Do you have suggestions on how to feed the young? This Is the first time I've ever had a fish have babies

Congratulations, Some people say they will eat crushed flakes or frozen baby brine shrimp.
I didn't have baby brine shrimp so I tried frozen bloodworms and crushed flakes. The ones in my big tank gladly ate both. But the ones I separated wouldn't eat any of that until I moved them to the big tank and they saw the others eating it.
I put the small tank on the windowsill and let it get covered in algae, it looked really bad but the fry grew twice as fast as the ones on crushed flake food and frozen bloodworms.
Maybe yours will be different and eat crushed flakes if they don't just let the tank grow algae.

Thank you for your quick responses! I have no clue how to hatch the brine shrimp so I've been crushing my platys food into a powder and I watched them to see if they would eat. Thankfully they're all swimming around and eating. I have 4 in total :)

Back
Top Bottom