platy help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dogpython

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my platy has a tube sticking out from her underside, i have no idea what it is! please help! thanks!!

Male Platy have their anal fin fused into a tube like structure called a gonopodium. In it used to introduce sperm packets into the female. That is how you tell males from females. Or it is a string of poop, but I doubt you would confuse that!

i thought that that fish was a female cause it had a regular anal fin, but overnight this tube-like thing appeared from it and it hasnt gone away for an hour or so, it is about 3/4 of an inch long! thanks for the help!

If its light brown in color, and its near the anal fins, it is most likely a string of poop. The gonodopodiums are usually light colored, about the same coloring of the fins, and are usually not 3/4 inch long. FW parasites are usually not that long either.

sorry if it was a false alarm, just got concerned when i saw it, will keep yall updated. thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom