platy swims weirdly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purrfect

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Platies seem to get this "disease" one at a time. This is at least the third in a row. They get weak, stay in the bottom, sometimes try to move or swim up. Looks like they have a cramp in a body and swim with only a part of the body. They may last few weeks before I found them dead. I had maybe fifteen fish at first, now at least ten left. 30 gallon tank. No other fish. Most of these are babies born last spring in my tank. Is it bad to inbreed them? Two of them are still very small. waterparameters are fine. I change 6 gallons in every 5-7 days. Emperor 280 filter. Is it wise to try to save more babies or could this be a birth defect?

purrfect said:
Is it bad to inbreed them?
Excessively, yes. The symptoms you described sounds like it could be an internal bacterial infection but I'm not sure.
Any bulging on parts of the body or scales sort of sticking out?

is there any way you coul quarantine the affected fish? I agree that this sounds like a internal bacterial infection and so getting affected fish away from the others would be the best thing to do.

As for inbreeding, yes it is bad if it is done excessively. If these are fish you got from a LFS, it is more than likely they were already inbred.

Thank you for comments. I cant see any symptoms in the body. Maybe the eyes are little reddish. Yesterday this fish got quite active and was swimming in vertical position. He needed to move his body a lot to keep going. Today he has been laying in the bottom on his side moving the tail constantly, crawling slowly like paralysed. Weird. These weird swimming habits vary a bit with each fish that I have had "sick" like this. I can fill a little tank for him to keep him apart from the others.

Too bad that inbreeding has flaws. It was quite fun and easy way to keep the tank stocked.

Back
Top Bottom