Platys (and Swordtails)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello. I was wondering, is it an undesirable trait for a platy and swordtail to breed? I was also wondering if it was difficult to get the hi-fin and lyretail swordtail fry to get those qualities. Thanks!

I dought they'd breed different genus just like mollies and guppies. And i am not sure bout the hi fin lyertail thing...

I dought they'd breed different genus just like mollies and guppies. And i am not sure bout the hi fin lyertail thing...
actually,from what ive read swordtails and platys can crossbreed,as caan mollys and guppys

Cichildlife said:

hmmm... the reason I though they would because in my book they said something about it. Thanks for your time! The book is What Fish? by Nick Fletcher.

Attachments

• image-2959111254.jpg
    image-2959111254.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 60
Most platys and swordtails you will buy in a store are already hybrids of each other. If you had a true genus then I would not want to mix them, if you are talking generic store bought fix, mix away they already are.

Most platys and swordtails you will buy in a store are already hybrids of each other. If you had a true genus then I would not want to mix them, if you are talking generic store bought fix, mix away they already are.

So are koi swordtails a true genus? Thanks.

No they are a mix of several different strains of fish. I would not mix them simply because they are pretty the way they are.

I would not mix them simply because they are pretty the way they are.
If you are interested in breeding a cool looking swordtail I saw a Koi Swordtail and Calico Swordtail cross and it was gorgeous.

OK, so I shouldn't put in some koi swords with my red wag platies because it will make each species unpure. Right? :thanks:

That does sound interesting.
Even though I am not much for Swordtails I asked if they were for sale since they normally don't sell fish in the showcase tanks but a few had prices written down but they were the owners fish, he had to move them because one of his tanks broke.

OK, so I shouldn't put in some koi swords with my red wag platies because it will make each species unpure. Right? :thanks:

It will mix them, they are both mixes anyway. The off spring may be nice looking fish. As long as you tell anyone you give them to what they are, mixing them would be fine.

It will mix them, they are both mixes anyway. The off spring may be nice looking fish. As long as you tell anyone you give them to what they are, mixing them would be fine.

Ok thanks, if they mix, it will do nothing to the actual parent fish right? The red wags with still be 100% red wags and the swordtails will still be 100% swordtails (in other words, the fish will still be the way they were before). Sorry if this is really confusing lol.

It will not change the parent fish at all.

Ok, so if I wanted to, I could breed the koi swordtails and red wag platies, and then separate the koi swordtails and have purebred koi swordtail fry. Thank you so much for your help!

Ok, so if I wanted to, I could breed the koi swordtails and red wag platies, and then separate the koi swordtails and have purebred koi swordtail fry. Thank you so much for your help!

Yes, except that females can store sperm so it gets a little iffy about all the fry. Breeding liveberears is fun and I recommended, it can be a bit complicated so ask as many questions as you like.

Yes, except that females can store sperm so it gets a little iffy about all the fry. Breeding liveberears is fun and I recommended, it can be a bit complicated so ask as many questions as you like.

Alright, I think I get it know. So is it still possible if a female koi sword breeds with a red wag platy that in a few months she can breed with another koi, and have purebred offspring.

Back
Top Bottom