Platys not breeding:S

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davies97

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 1 Male and 1 Female Platy about 2-3 months ago (Maybe More) and the Female hasn't been pregnant in all the time I've had her. Can anyone help? :S

Davies97 said:
I bought 1 Male and 1 Female Platy about 2-3 months ago (Maybe More) and the Female hasn't been pregnant in all the time I've had her. Can anyone help? :S

You should either get 1 male to 2 females or 1 male to 3 females

Okay thanks but I've bred Guppies with 1 Male and 1 Female perfectly fine. I'm just wondering why these Platys haven't bred?

What is the temp in your tank at now? Have you tested your water recently?

Tested water and its fine. Temp is 79 because i raised it because they werent breeding

I know this is true with my guppies but I have 2 females 1 male, and no matter what, the male will only try to mate with just the one female, leaving the other one completely alone. I've even separated the male from his "favorite" female to see if that changed anything, and still no breeding happened.

After researching some guppy breeders say that they believe males can detect a female "not suitable" to breed with, whether it be bad genes or an illness. That's the only reason I can think of, and maybe this applies for all livebearers....then again that theory sounds a little far fetched as well.

Get another female in the tank if you have room, see if that changes anything. And good luck!

I werent really planning on breeding them but if they were to breed, im prepared. If they dont breed ill keep them and in the future i plan on getting a Betta or a Goldfish. What would you recomemd?

Back
Top Bottom