Platys!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Who doesn't love platys?

I know I do!!

⭕️Do Platys need heaters?

Yes! Platys need 75•f water which comes to point that Platys DO need a heater. As they are tropical fish.

⭕️Do Platys need filters?

Yes! All fish need filters! There's a simple rule of thumb.....
Tank size x2 = filtration requirement!

⭕️How many gallons?

Platys need Atleast ten gallons depending on tank mates and how many! ??

⭕️Can Platys be alone?

This topic can be debatable but in my personal experience yes, Platys need friends (other livebearers) to be happy and healthy. Mine always pair off with there friend. Make or female.

⭕️Breeding?

Breeding Platys is very simple (breeding all livebearers at that is simple) you just put a male in with a female! You need 1 male to every 2 females to even out stress. They will have about 29-31 day pregnancy periods and then give birth. If you plan to keep the fry (baby fish) then you can put the mom in her own separate "nursery tank" in a breeder. Otherwise your fish will eat the fry. Signs of birth are, large gravid spots behind the belly. And an almost squared of look the belly. Simple right?

Just a few things to know about your finned friends. If you want to know more about Platys, or any other livebearers (guppies, mollies, swordtails) you can PM me and I will do my best to answer your questions. Thank You for reading' ??

Neither Platys or guppies require a heater though. There's a basis for mollies requiring a heater, but guppies and Platys are comfortable down to the mid 60s, or room temp for most houses.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom