Please advice on this stocking!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ICoolGuy

Aquarium Advice Regular
AquStockImage.php

This is the stocking for a 39.6 Gallon low tech planted tank. I am a beginner and this will be my first tank and I know it is overstocked but I am going to add fish gradually over the period of 3-4 months so please advice on and compatibility issues or any other problem. The tank is currently cycling and any other advice is also appreciated. Link below to aqadvisor:

http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.php?N=&L=30.5&D=15&H=20&J=&UV=gUS&UL=inch&F=1:200909300009:,10:200909300144:,10:200909300054:,1:200909300061:,5:200909300093:,3:200909300153:,1:200909300033:

Crystal Reds should have their own tank. They aren't beginner Shrimp and they are pricey snacks.

Consider Red Cherry Shrimp. But use lots of plants and wood to give them a fighting chance. Angels will pick them off. So they might survive in hiding, but you may not see them.

If you get the Angel as a baby and raise it with the Neons, it MAY be ok. But as an adult they may decide to eat them.

Skip the Pleco and have 6 Otos. Otherwise the Pleco will outcompete the Otos and the Otos will starve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might look over into Red Cherry Shrimp but I really like the Crystal Reds so I will see.

And about the Angel I am planning on getting a angelfish while it is very young almost fry close to the size of neons will that be okay.

I would really love the pleco to be with otos and about out competing I am planning on feeding algae wafers in peices.

By the way thanks :thanks:

Otos are wild caught and may not eat processed food. They prefer biofilm and soft green algae. You can try Repashy gel food.

Some of my Otos learned to eat Omega One algae wafers, some would not.

CRS need precise water and excellent water quality. Angels are opportunistic predators as are Neons.

I would hate to see CRS slaughtered, but it's your tank.

a547a5c9df0fc9f8c9a13880ba93a3fb.jpg

7ea6f4fc2ed0b298ba5bce80b36b10eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say no to the angelfish, maybe lore the schools down to 8, you'll need at least 5 otos since they need a group. I suggest 6, make sure the guppies are are all male so you aren't overrun with fry. Are you getting fancy guppies? Personally I suggest platies or another type of fish because fancy guppies can be difficult to care for(they need very good water parameters and such). Have you thought about instead of having guppies having a betta? You'll have to keep a close eye on the betta, but with a well planted tank and enough hiding spots you should be good.

"It doesn't matter if your on the same page, it matters if your in the same BOOK."
~Platy lover~

I'd say no to the angelfish, maybe lore the schools down to 8, you'll need at least 5 otos since they need a group. I suggest 6, make sure the guppies are are all male so you aren't overrun with fry. Are you getting fancy guppies? Personally I suggest platies or another type of fish because fancy guppies can be difficult to care for(they need very good water parameters and such). Have you thought about instead of having guppies having a betta? You'll have to keep a close eye on the betta, but with a well planted tank and enough hiding spots you should be good.

"It doesn't matter if your on the same page, it matters if your in the same BOOK."
~Platy lover~

Bettas are usually very aggressive and territorial. I wouldn't suggest one in a community tank, and not sure about the shrimp being there either. My betta hated my DG as well when their tanks were beside each other so I wouldn't suggest that either.

Really depends on the betta I guess.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Bettas are usually very aggressive and territorial. I wouldn't suggest one in a community tank, and NOT with an angel.

Yeah that's the stocking without the Angel.;) But there's actually a lot of people out there with bettas in community tanks, I've seen and heard of it with great results. It honestly depends on the the betta, they range greatly in personality, you can have shy to killer. That's why you have to watch carefully and have breeders ready for timeouts. Females can be less aggressive, but I have a female that is nick named the Ruthless Queen. While I have male betta who is curious, but is nice enough I'd try in a community. I'm thinking about having a betta in my next tank as well. It's just an option though.:) oh I didn't see you want a gourami, definitely don't have a betta with a gourami. They are both territorial and both need air, it wouldn't end well. I also didn't see your edit when I posted this.

~Platy lover~

Yeah that's the stocking without the Angel.;) But there's actually a lot of people out there with bettas in community tanks, I've seen and heard of it with great results. It honestly depends on the the betta, they range greatly in personality, you can have shy to killer. That's why you have to watch carefully and have breeders ready for timeouts. Females can be less aggressive, but I have a female that is nick named the Ruthless Queen. While I have male betta who is curious, but is nice enough I'd try in a community. I'm thinking about having a betta in my next tank as well. It's just an option though.:) oh I didn't see you want a gourami, definitely don't have a betta with a gourami. They are both territorial and both need air, it wouldn't end well. I also didn't see your edit when I posted this.

~Platy lover~

Aha and I didn't realize you took out the angel ;) I wish I had that luck, my betta would bite my finger off if he could. I'd love to have a community with a betta, just too scared really :p

Aha and I didn't realize you took out the angel ;) I wish I had that luck, my betta would bite my finger off if he could. I'd love to have a community with a betta, just too scared really :p

Yeah some bettas can be little meanies(you can't help but love them anyway though.:)), I've just heard a lot of success stories with sororities and a school of some fish. Along with bettas in community tanks, otherwise I wouldn't be willing to try it.:)

~Platy lover~

Back
Top Bottom