Please help asap crayfish molting problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caseylyle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new here ok & in dire need of help. My wild caught/ rescue. I work at a resturant & couldnt cook her & ive had her a year & this is her 3rd only but on her 2nd only this spot popped on her head (I think shell rot which I just learned about) & she has molted all her legs & claws & tail but the head part is still on & I'm afraid that her old shell is fused with the spot cause it looks like she has it off a little cause her eyes look like they r kinda in her head & shes been this way for 7 hours & im super scared cause this didnt happen before. Please I'm desperate for help to save her.. Pics r below. Please help

Attachments

• 0103202223a.jpg
    0103202223a.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 0103202223.jpg
    0103202223.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 0916192343.jpg
    0916192343.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 111
I don’t have experience with crayfish, but I used to have pet crabs. Occasionally they’d have an issue with molting (stuck in their shell, losing a claw, can’t get skin off etc). If you feel the piece that’s not coming off and it’s loose, you can gently help it come off by running the pad of your finger over it in the direction of the molt. If it is hard stuck though do not pull it as you can do more damage. If one of my crabs couldn’t get a piece and it was beyond my help I’d generally let them figure it out. They sometimes would have to regrow a claw or rub against something and get it off on their own.

To address the shell rot, you should see if there is a recommended medication that can help her heal the damage. That could also mess up her molting process as it could be painful and she could be avoiding trying to molt naturally. (I know my crabs would sometimes just pull pieces off that they could get to, if she does the same she might not want to if the shell rot is bothering her too much). I don’t know how to diagnose shell rot, so this isn’t me confirming she has it or not, but if that is the case you should confirm it and treat it so it doesn’t spread

Ty

She has looks like feathery stuff coming out the sides of it & her shell feels leathery.

Ty I just figured out quick reply so I already posted it in the reply thing

Back
Top Bottom