Please help : Growths on Black Widow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium-mania

Aquarium Advice Regular
Please help me ! There's growths on one of my Black Widow tetras :( ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393266940.215635.jpg
It's been like that for a couple weeks now , despite adding methylene blue to the tank.

I have a Fluval Roma 125L with a Fluval U3 internal power filter and a Fluval 305 external canister filter. I have also 2 heaters .

My water temperature is 24C , and my test kit is on it's way to me. I did a 50% water change on Saturday , I usually change 30% every week but since I saw no improvements I did a larger water change. I vacuum the gravel when I change the water too.

In my tank I have 7 black widows ( 2 are albino) , 3 penguin tetras , 10 cardinal tetras and 1 Bristlenose pleco. My water dechorinator is Interpet Tapsafe.

Like I said , he's (ok I don't know if it's a he) has been like this for approx. 2.5 weeks now. He swims and eats normally , and the other fish show no sign of illness. I've had these black widows for 5 years now , I'd really like him to get better.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393267438.426843.jpg
Here's a better picture of my tank.

Some more pics :
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393267603.890713.jpg
And this is what he was like approx. 2.5 weeks before :
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393267689.835128.jpg
(Apologies for blurry pics)

Thank you for replying so fast !So should I increase my water changes to 30% every few days then ? How can I prevent this disease spreading to other fish or happening again ? Thank you :)

Please help me ! There's growths on one of my Black Widow tetras :( View attachment 224551
It's been like that for a couple weeks now , despite adding methylene blue to the tank.

I have a Fluval Roma 125L with a Fluval U3 internal power filter and a Fluval 305 external canister filter. I have also 2 heaters .

My water temperature is 24C , and my test kit is on it's way to me. I did a 50% water change on Saturday , I usually change 30% every week but since I saw no improvements I did a larger water change. I vacuum the gravel when I change the water too.

In my tank I have 7 black widows ( 2 are albino) , 3 penguin tetras , 10 cardinal tetras and 1 Bristlenose pleco. My water dechorinator is Interpet Tapsafe.

Like I said , he's (ok I don't know if it's a he) has been like this for approx. 2.5 weeks now. He swims and eats normally , and the other fish show no sign of illness. I've had these black widows for 5 years now , I'd really like him to get better.
View attachment 224552
Here's a better picture of my tank.

Methylene blue kills good bacteria and should only be used in QT tank. I'm not familiar with this disease, so I'll let others chime in here.

Thank you for replying so fast !So should I increase my water changes to 30% every few days then ? How can I prevent this disease spreading to other fish or happening again ? Thank you :)

It's a viral infection that has to run it's course. Upping the water changes will help. 30% every few days sounds good. Unfortunately it can pass to other fish if the pustules on the infected fish burst.

Ok ! I'll do a 30% change every few days starting tomorrow , and stop dosing methylene blue (whoops !) .Unfortunately the growths have been there 2-ish weeks , and I don't have a QT tank (yet) . Thank you everyone for your help , I really appreciate it (^ω^)

Ok ! I'll do a 30% change every few days starting tomorrow , and stop dosing methylene blue (whoops !) .Unfortunately the growths have been there 2-ish weeks , and I don't have a QT tank (yet) . Thank you everyone for your help , I really appreciate it (^ω^)

Just buy a 5 gallon Sterlite container. It's cheap, light and portable for your QT tank.

Just buy a 5 gallon Sterlite container. It's cheap, light and portable for your QT tank.

I'll definitely bear that in mind when I'm next out shopping ! I'll probably get a small sponge filter and a heater too *muses* . Thank you for your suggestion ^^ !

I'll definitely bear that in mind when I'm next out shopping ! I'll probably get a small sponge filter and a heater too *muses* . Thank you for your suggestion ^^ !

You're welcome! Check out these prices for sponge filter, air pump, and heater:

Amazon.com: Aquarium Biochemical Sponge Filter Fish Tank Air Pump: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: TOM Mini Air Pump - 5gal to 10gal tank: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: ViaAqua 50-Watt Quartz Glass Submersible Heater with Built-In Thermostat: Pet Supplies

Oops! Sorry, didn't realize you weren't in the states. Where are you?

Sorry, I don't really feel comfortable posting that . You've been a really big help , I'm so happy that my tetra will get better thanks to you guys ^^ Thank you once again !

It's a viral infection that has to run it's course. Upping the water changes will help. 30% every few days sounds good. Unfortunately it can pass to other fish if the pustules on the infected fish burst.

Slightly off topic but can I ask how you picked it? Will there always be a couple of pustules? Just curious on this.

Sorry, I don't really feel comfortable posting that . You've been a really big help , I'm so happy that my tetra will get better thanks to you guys ^^ Thank you once again !

No worries. Just thought I could help you source some of the items. I can be fairly resourceful if pressed. :)

That sounds like a good excuse/reason to go the lfs! :). Purely for research.

I do most of my research on the net - Google, of course, and the many forums like this one. :)

Our local LFS do not carry anything extraordinary.

Back
Top Bottom