Please help identify!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trueerfan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last night this was the size of a 50 cent piece, now it's the size of a softball. There is no hair on it. My rock use to have the red stuff now it looks like it is leaving and this light green tinted stuff is coming on. I have recently started using a gfo and carbon reactor as of last week. Is this a good thing happening to my tank?
My tank is 3 and and half months old. All my parameters are correct. What do you guys think?

ForumRunner_20130209_145654.jpg

I've got the same in my tank. I posted pics and people said cyano bacteria. Not sure if that's accurate but doesn't seam to be affecting my tank much other than the looks.

The red is cyano the green is just some other type of algae. You'll see lots of different algae and small critter blooms in newly set up tanks. One of the strangest is some tanks including one of mine had a hydroid bloom about 4 months in and they are some strange, nasty little creatures lol.

The red was on the rock and now it green with white rock under. Is it leaving? Or is something eating it?

Well today noticed other places this happening to. I think the red stuff is starving out. Any thoughts?

The cyano is gonna deplete the tank of the excess nutrients and then die back as long as you aren't feeding excessively or going to long between water changes. It will soon all disapear and youll probably see other algaes feeding off the other nutrients that the cyano didn't deplete. Its much like the idea of the nitrogen cycle. Each organism specializes in consuming certain nutrients so until all your extra nutrients are depleted you'll see something thriving on it whether it be a type of algae or small creatures.

Kinda, its normal to see when nutrient levels are elevated which occurs a lot in New tanks due to New or old die off in the rocks. Once your tank becomes more established around the 6 months to a year mark then it would be a bad sign that you are feeding to much, not doing enough or big enough water changes, rodi filters going bad, etc. I would just make sure you keep on a good water change schedule and don't overfeed and your tank will balance out just gotta be patient. Only bad things happen fast in saltwater.

Back
Top Bottom