PLEASE HELP lost 3 fish in 24 hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Qozux

Aquarium Advice Regular
Help please! I had a fish tank that was smelling really bad. Almost a sour stale smell, but all my fish were doing fine. I took a water sample to a LFS (it's a specialty store and they are actually quite knowledgeable) and they had several employees smell the water and it was tested. They yielded the same results I had at home which were no ammo or nitrite, minimal nitrate, healthy Gh and Kh, pH in the high 7s. We all came to the decision that my tank smelled like Prime gone very bad. So they recommended I switch to stresscoat +. I told them I couldn't use that because I use Purigen so they gave me some nutrafin chlor xchange. I also got some Seachem Regulator to bring the pH to 7 because it was recommended (probably a mistake). I did my 50% water change last night and saw that one of my female bettas had died who I had had for about 7 weeks. I didn't think too much of it because she kind of always acted a little funny. This morning I saw one of my zebra danios had kicked the bucket, had her for 3 weeks or so. Until today zebra danios have been the only fish that have died on me (of the 9 I've bought I only have 2 left, all but this last one died within the first 3 days). I got home from work today and saw that I lost my albino cory who had been sluggish the last few days, he has been healthy and in this tank since I got it 3 months ago. I urgently did another 70% PWC, added the chlor xchange and nothing else and came down to type this up.

Anyone have any idea why my fish are dying?????
once that's figured out, has anyone else had a smell problem? Possibly after using too much Prime?

thank you.

TL:DR?
Tank stinks, water test good, lots of fish dying.

Seriously, 62 views and no responses?

I would take the fish out put e in a bucketand re clean the whole tank and start over and do fish in cycle unless you have another tank you can temporary put the in

If there really isn't a water quality problem, then you are dealing with a disease or parasite. Don't mess with the ph, especially in a small tank- you'll end up bumping more fish off.
The Prime isn't/wasn't your problem.
I remember someone else here had a similar problem- very smelly tank, good parameters and constant supply of dead fish. I can't remember if the cause was identified, but I think they had to start from scratch after the last fish died, and sterilize everything. :(

Back
Top Bottom