please help me out, I dont know what is wrong with my angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JC_Biggs said:
ok. then you need to use 1/2 packet per day WITHOUT doing water changes. and since your changing half of that water, then add 1/4 of a pack. hard to get it that accurate though. so 3/4 of a pack daily. and then your gonna want to add 1 teaspoon of aquairum salt, 1ml of melafix, and your trace elelements if you want..

at least, thats how i do it, scaled down of course.

You are a life saver for some reason I just couldn't wrap my head around it.

I need help with some math. If every day I do a 50% pwc (2.5 gallons) then how much macaryn two do I need to add each day to make up for it? I don't know I you can make a math equation for that or not. I don't know if that makes cents. But the instructions do not factor pwc into the prosedur and the medication is designed to build up over the corse of the dosing period. If you think about it the first day you do a pwc you will take out less medication but the next day you will take out twice as much medication (the consitration will be higher) HAAA!! please help poor fishfanatic out

Am I correct that the dosage is 1 packet per 10 gallons? I would just treat the 2.5 gallons you are putting in. That would break down to 1/4 packet per 2.5 gallons. Not sure how you could measure that though.

As for pwc...I keep, well I keep way more than I need to, but I keep about 15 gallons of water on hand. I think it's good to let it sit so the dissolved gasses can escape. Also, chlorine will evaporate in about 24 hours. I let it sit with the cap off for about 48 hours. I tap the jug every day to bring the bubbles to the top and let the gas escape. Of course 15 gallons is hard to store (my laundry room floow is covered with jugs) but if you only need 2.5 it is pretty simple to do it this way.

p.s. I still use water conditioner just to be sure the chlorine is our.

tulip55555 said:
Am I correct that the dosage is 1 packet per 10 gallons? I would just treat the 2.5 gallons you are putting in. That would break down to 1/4 packet per 2.5 gallons. Not sure how you could measure that though.

As for pwc...I keep, well I keep way more than I need to, but I keep about 15 gallons of water on hand. I think it's good to let it sit so the dissolved gasses can escape. Also, chlorine will evaporate in about 24 hours. I let it sit with the cap off for about 48 hours. I tap the jug every day to bring the bubbles to the top and let the gas escape. Of course 15 gallons is hard to store (my laundry room floow is covered with jugs) but if you only need 2.5 it is pretty simple to do it this way.

p.s. I still use water conditioner just to be sure the chlorine is our.

You are correct that one packet treats 10 gallons. I am going to use a gram scale to figure out how much 1/4 really is.

Thanks for your input about the water changes.

1 packet per 10 gallons DAILY. so he needs at least a half packet just to dose according to the instructions. maracyn 2 builds up in the water, hence it says NOT to change the water while using it. sinced he is changing out some he has to put back what meds were removed. ie another 1/4 packet. so a total of 3/4 of a packet every day

Update on my anglefish:
Her fins have taken a beating (they are about 3/4 the length they used to be)
Now her fins hove cotton looking stuff on them
Were one of the veins are there is now a bump
She is not eating

Is she in pain? Should I just help this dieing process along?

That is the aquarium salt follow the instructions on that one for a stress reducer the Epson salt is found in the grocery store it is vary cheap only a few dollars and will last u forever u only need to add Epson salt if ur fish are having problems going to the bathroom

Epsom's salt is also very good in reducing the swelling from Popeye. If it's bacterial, it will reduce the amount of eye damage by keeping the swelling to a minimum. If it's from injury it will clear it up. IME

Update on my angelfish:
Her fins have taken a beating (they are about 3/4 the length they used to be)
Now her fins hove cotton looking stuff on them
Were one of the veins are there is now a bump
She is not eating

Is she in pain? Should I just help this dieing process along?

Since you have some Paraguard already, I'd give it a try, it's good stuff and works quick.
So sorry she's going downhill,but give the Paraguard a try before you help her on her way. Try to avoid the if onlys, before helping her to fishy heaven if you can.
She may have been sick for to long now, but it's worth a try. I've always had very good luck with any of Seachem's medications. Even when I've thought it to be a lost cause. Their meds. have turned some very sick fish around.
Good luck.
PS. Do a good size PWC before adding a new medication. I don't know how well they would mix with each other.

WendiDell said:
Since you have some Paraguard already, I'd give it a try, it's good stuff and works quick.
So sorry she's going downhill,but give the Paraguard a try before you help her on her way. Try to avoid the if onlys, before helping her to fishy heaven if you can.
She may have been sick for to long now, but it's worth a try. I've always had very good luck with any of Seachem's medications. Even when I've thought it to be a lost cause. Their meds. have turned some very sick fish around.
Good luck.
PS. Do a good size PWC before adding a new medication. I don't know how well they would mix with each other.

My gut feeling is to stick with the aquarium salt, maracyn, maracyn two, and melafix treatment. Just because those meds are just now starting to build up. And I am only on my second day of treatment. But my poor angle, I hope she doesn't become an angle (aka dead)

What is the strongest, best medication I could be using? Or what is the best combination of medication to help my anglefish?

Good luck

Hey I had same prob w/ my angel. He's fine now. I did a combo of melafix and pimafix with a stress coat (anything with aloe vera). I found everything at Petco. A nice layer of foam formed @ surface where I had him stay for few seconds ( I was pretty desperate myself). I didn't do a water change till the 7th day, as the bottles instruct. I also put him in quarantine tank, but added stress zyme before I added him. Took about 2 weeks for him to recover, but it worked (have some patience and say a lil prayer). I am no expert but when you do pwc I would think you are also removing some of the meds. I also fed him hikari micro pellets while he was sick (easier to digest). I was also told to try garlic but I never did. I hope this helps. Good luck

Another update:
The red vanes seem to be gone.
The fin rot is still going crazy! (Her fins are about 1/2 the length they used to be)
The cotton looking white fux has spread to all the fins
She is still not eating

I am currently doing 30-50% pwc every day. I dose 1 packet of maracyn, 1 packet of maracyn two, 1 heaping teaspoon of aquarium salt, and just over 1 milliliter of melafix.
Shouldn't this dosing combination have no problem destroying the bacteria that is eating the fins?

I am so confused!

Just to add...I have been dosing using the PPS PRO regime that MDF pointed me towards and I test every other day and my pH has stayed the same...I use excel everyday too.

fishfanatic said:
Another update:
The red vanes seem to be gone.
The fin rot is still going crazy! (Her fins are about 1/2 the length they used to be)
The cotton looking white fux has spread to all the fins
She is still not eating

I am currently doing 30-50% pwc every day. I dose 1 packet of maracyn, 1 packet of maracyn two, 1 heaping teaspoon of aquarium salt, and just over 1 milliliter of melafix.
Shouldn't this dosing combination have no problem destroying the bacteria that is eating the fins?

I am so confused!

Is there some other products that would help with the fin rot? Chppersafe, maracide,and maroxy are all said to be safe to use together (back of maracyn box). Would any of those above listed help my poor fish fight off this fin rot?

I gave you my recommendation early on page 2 on and you dismissed it very quickly saying there was no fuzzy white stuff, but it's clearly present. I'm still recommending Jungles Fungus Clear as treatment along with lowering the temp into the mid to low 70's. This will be my last post to this subject.

HUKIT said:
I gave you my recommendation early on page 2 on and you dismissed it very quickly saying there was no fuzzy white stuff, but it's clearly present. I'm still recommending Jungles Fungus Clear as treatment along with lowering the temp into the mid to low 70's. This will be my last post to this subject.

The fungus has just recently appeared. Can I use the jungle fungus clear with the medication I am currently using?

I would cease the other medications perform a large water change then start Fungus Clear and this will help the fin rot as well.

HUKIT said:
I would cease the other medications perform a large water change then start Fungus Clear and this will help the fin rot as well.

How can I be sure that the blood poisoning is all fixed? If you know what I mean, I don't want to half treat one problem then have it come back while I treat the other problem. This illness it taking a toll on my patients...

I believe alot of those issues are seconday infections stemming from the original problem, so you must decide what your course of action is but I've given you my recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom