Please Help me Stock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessa1606

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gal freshwater tank with a Marineland Penguin 350 filter. I currently have a peacock eel (i think), 2 dwarf gourami, a rubbernose pleco and 2 juvy silver dollars. (i know that these need to be in larger groups and a few more will be added within the next couple weeks) I would like to add some color to the tank or maybe a species that is fun to watch but i dont know where to start. I really like cichlids but I know they are to aggressive for my tank. Any suggestions?

Given that your tank is fully cycles...... I would say look into something in the loach family. I personally live watching my loachs. Alot of them have beautiful colors and amazing patterns and come in all shapes and sizes. They are also fun to watch. Thought they are considered bottom feeders to most some of them when they get larger will come out and play more. Just food for thought , something to research

I'd get some dwarf cichlids for some bottom dwelling fish.

4-5 Bolivian Rams - hardy, good color, personable - mine eat from my hand. If a M/F mating pair forms, rehome the rest. I prefer these over the more sensitive and warm (80F+) water German Blue ram. Your tank might be good with 2 pairs, but I'd still stick with one.

or an Apistogramma (dwarf cichlid) harem 1M:3F

many good types -- cockatoo apisto, trifasciata, agassazi, many varients of each type.

you might encounter some minor aggression between the cichlids and gouramis, but I think your tank is big enough to cope.
--

8-15 schooling fish for the upper regions, many options.

Praecox rainbowfish are really nice 1:2 M:F ratio, kind of expensive, but some of my favorite fish.

Harlequin Rasbora
Rummynose Tetras

I'd avoid any pairs of cichlids since there is an eel in the tank. Breeding pairs often don't appreciate bottom dwellers. Otherwise, they aren't too aggressive for your tank, but silver dollars are aggressive feeders and may outcompete the bottom dwelling cichlids for food. Not saying you can't mix the two, but it's not ideal IMO.

A school of rainbows would be lovely. Threadfin rainbows are fun to watch, the males put on a nice display for eachother.

I really like the loach idea. However I was told that they would bee too big for my tank. Can I get clown loaches?

Clown loaches should be ok, as long as you don't keep too many, they really need to be in large groups, but i kept three and they seemed fine. Definitely go with corys! oh, and a pair of zebra plecos would be gorgeous! But they can be sensitive to water quality, and very, very, expensive!

Back
Top Bottom