Please help my black moor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good advice.
If you have substrate or stones, rinse with treated tap water. Scrape off a bit of algae if there is some but try and leave those without scrubbing as there will be BB on them. Preserving as much as possible helps out too. If you have substrate you aren't using in the new tank you can rinse and still hang/add some to the new tank. I have used media bags an new rinsed Queen knee high stockings hung along the back.

Congratulations on the new tank.

What will help though for making sure to add new tank water their container to acclimate them to the large volume of new tank water. So happy for every one!

Using water from your old tank wont help at all. Very little beneficial bacteria is in the water.

So, your plan is to put your 2 fish in a bucket or tote, decommision the smaller tank, set up the new tank in its place and move the fish?

Can you run the filter on your smaller tank alongside the filter for your new tank? Thats the best bet for now. Run your old filter alongside the new one for 2 or 3 weeks. Any substrate, decorations etc you can move over will carry over some beneficial bacteria too. Make sure nothing dries out for too long between the move. Keep the items you want to move in a bucket of dechlorinated water.

Yes that is the plan. I put the babies in a 66qt tote filled with water from their tank, as well as a few of their decorations. I have drained and removed the tank. I have all the decorations from the tank sitting in the bathtub and I am pouring water from the tank over them periodically to keep them wet as you said. I will run the old filter alongside the new one as long as I can. I have someone taking the old tank since it’s only 4 months old. Would it be ok to use the same gravel from the old tank in the new one? Would that help the process? Thank you for the advice. I will update when the process is complete.

Update!!!

Well they have been in their new home for almost 2 full days now and they seem to really love it. They are always swimming as fast as they can from one side to another. Top two pics are their new home and the bottom pic is their former residence. Still keeping a close eye on them cuz I know switching tanks can be traumatic on them but so far they seem to be doing exceptionally well. Thank you everyone for all the help!!!

Attachments

• CC069FBF-FDEC-4CD5-91AA-1189A532D15E.jpg
    CC069FBF-FDEC-4CD5-91AA-1189A532D15E.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 31B1A7B7-6010-44D9-BC10-ECEFFA217724.jpg
    31B1A7B7-6010-44D9-BC10-ECEFFA217724.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 8681198A-870E-4843-AC91-BC12C6954FD2.jpg
    8681198A-870E-4843-AC91-BC12C6954FD2.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 17
Be careful when you take out the old filter, you will be removing some of the beneficial bacteria which might affect your cycle. If your new filter has room in it, put the media from your old filter into the new one after you remove it.

Be careful when you take out the old filter, you will be removing some of the beneficial bacteria which might affect your cycle. If your new filter has room in it, put the media from your old filter into the new one after you remove it.

Yes that’s what I am planning on doing. When it is time to take the old filter out of the new tank, as I have both running together at the moment, I am gonna take the media from the old filter and exchange it in the new one since it is a fuel filter. The new filter has two cartridges and two bio filters.

Fish love room room to swim. You might see a noticeable increase in their size as well!

Yes this is why I chose to go ahead and upgrade their tank. I wanted to give them enough room to grow as big as they can and swim all they want. I will not be putting any new tank mates in with them either. They have their mansion all to themselves.

Back
Top Bottom