Please help my black moor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
****UPDATE*****
My babies are doing much better! I did a 50% tank change the first day, then the second day I did a 25% change and began a treatment of Pimafix along with it. By the second day, they are no longer hiding and are responding to me as they used to! They are looking better as well and have their very hungry appetites back. I will be starting the Melifix treatment as soon as it gets here either today or tomorrow and will be continuing the partial water changes to make sure they get back to 100% health and happiness! I have the master test kit arriving today so I can start the testing for ammonia ASAP! I appreciate everyone's responses and assistance in helping my fishy babies. I will post pics shortly. I just have one other question. I am currently using the heater that came with the tank, however I noticed that the heater doesn't keep the tank temperature constant. It varies by 1-2 degrees at any given time. It is not an adjustable heater. It says it only keeps the temperature between 76F and 81F. I have only seen the temperature range between 76F and 77.6F. But as I said it is nowhere near constant. Will this hurt my babies or is that not a big enough difference in temperature to worry? If this affects them in any way I will rush to get an adjustable heater immediately. Please let me know. Again thank you for all the help and advise, because of all your help, I think my babies will make it.

Here they are!!!

Thank you everyone!!! I think I can safely say you all saved them!!!

Attachments

• DDD50865-0A58-4B11-8193-3FD20346C020.jpg
    DDD50865-0A58-4B11-8193-3FD20346C020.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 3B216283-3EEE-46EA-B935-113C0CD3EC8B.jpg
    3B216283-3EEE-46EA-B935-113C0CD3EC8B.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 33
Great news. Glad we was of some help.

I really think the clean water is what your fish is benefiting from, but those medications will help clearing up anything secondary. They are quite mild and shouldnt affect your cycle.

Always remember, your first action should you be worried about anything is to change some water.

When you are able to test for ammonia your target should be to keep ammonia + nitrite no higher than 0.5ppm combined. Hopefully that means you can cut back on daily water changes and your cycle quickly establishes and you can then stick to water changes to control nitrate levels only.

Hope you stick around and keep us updated on your fish friends.

I will definitely be sticking to this site. I tried for days to find some help and this was the only place that was willing and able to help. Do you have any advice on the heater issue from my last post? If you have a suggestion for an adjustable heater I would definitely appreciate it.

I honestly wouldn't worry about such a small amount of fluctuation in your aquarium temperature. Unless its fluctuating by much more than that in a short space of time it won't be an issue.

I would say thats quite warm for a black moor. Room temperature should be fine. At that high a temperature their metabloism will be high, messier, more waste, more ammonia for your system to cope with. Do you really need a heater? You might still want a heater to keep temperature stable at night if the room temperature drops, but if you have a stable room temperature then probably not. An adjustable heater would better in these circumstances so it can be set at room temperature, i think fixed heaters tend to be set higher.

If you find a reliable adjustable heater let me know. The best heater ive ever had was the cheap one included with my first aquarium. Nothing ive had since has come close to being as reliable.

Perhaps post your heater/temperature question in a new thread specific to the new topic to get a better first hand opinion on it.

Honestly I am getting quite confused by what temperature black moors should actually be at. I have been told by a few people that they are cold water but I have been told by many, including Petco and Tetra themselves, that black moors need to be at warmer temperatures. I have also Googled it and have found many differing temperatures. I had a chiller on the tank at one time because I was told by Petsmart, whom I truly do not trust, that they need cold temps between 68F and 72F and the room temp was around 74F. Then Tetra and Petco told me no they need warm, so I dropped the chiller and allowed the tank to get to room temp before turning on the heater. Tetra said they need between 75F and 81F and the temp in my room wasn't reaching anything above 74F. Honestly, they seemed to take to the warmer water better than the cold.

Here are my tanks readings from about 10 minutes ago; PH: 8.0, Ammonia: 0.25, Nitrite: 0.25, and Nitrate: 0-5.0. The Nitrate level was kind of in between the two colors. Should I do another 25% water change or wait and see if they change by tomorrow?

Thats right where you want them to be. At those levels the ammonia and nitrite are relatively safe for your fish while leaving enough waste to feed your cycle. Dont let them get any worse though. No higher than 0.5ppm combined for ammonia and nitrite is your target.

Nitrate is much less critical. 40ppm is typically the level you dont want it going over, but many people keep fish fine at higher nitrate than that in reality.

Change some water weekly regardless of water parameters.

****Update****

My babies are still doing great!! The water parameters are about the same but I just did a 25% water change about an hour ago so I will check them again in about 48 hours. I am attaching some pics of them but again I just did a water change so the water is a little cloudy so please excuse that. They haven’t hid in over a week so I am thankful for that. They are back to responding to me and as you can see in the pictures, they are front and center and love their pics taken lol. Dodger is the one on top in the photos. He is the one that had the yucky spot on him, which is now completely gone and Mookie is the one in the bottom. He is the one that wouldn’t come out of hiding. As you can see they are both doing great! More updates to come at later dates!!! Happy fishy mommy right now!!!!

Attachments

• 894E9F55-8EF5-4ABB-BD86-D494A57B83E5.jpg
    894E9F55-8EF5-4ABB-BD86-D494A57B83E5.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 071D01C1-B80B-4E12-98D9-D2354F28301D.jpg
    071D01C1-B80B-4E12-98D9-D2354F28301D.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 6A3AAD5C-C822-4848-B114-1C557504E42E.jpg
    6A3AAD5C-C822-4848-B114-1C557504E42E.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 25
****Update****

Almost 36 hours after 25% water change and their tank is almost crystal clear. These babies have went through a lot in the past 2 weeks but it appears to have been what they needed. Will be checking parameters tomorrow. I’m hoping this means the tank is cycled. We’ll see tomorrow!!!

Attachments

• C18DF8C7-B17F-4CEC-8D5F-1384AFB72B7B.jpg
    C18DF8C7-B17F-4CEC-8D5F-1384AFB72B7B.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 26
  • A4A09B6F-54C1-4D41-9A62-857E0B1E3837.jpg
    A4A09B6F-54C1-4D41-9A62-857E0B1E3837.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 70DB4866-EF3E-49B7-81D5-45CFE49FFA0C.jpg
    70DB4866-EF3E-49B7-81D5-45CFE49FFA0C.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 27
Agree, some good news is wonderful.

Try getting their attention and feeding slowly so they have time to grab the food, and a light amount of food per feeding for a little while. Hoping then the water parameters stay a little more stable.

Ok so my babies still appear to be doing great HOWEVER when I just tested water parameters, PH is 7.2-7.6, ammonia is 0.25, nitrite is high at 2.0 and nitrate is also high at 40-80. What can I do. They are due for a 25% water change tomorrow. What would cause this when the parameters have been steady over the last several readings? Is it because their water change is due? I do the water readings about ever 2 days. Their last 25% water change was on the 9th. Any ideas? Thank you everyone.

You need to do a couple water changes today and a couple tomorrow because it is at a very dangerous level.

If your water parameters for pH etc. are similar to your tap water, I would do a 80-90% water change.

If it isn't too far off, I would do 2 water changes, 40%, then in an hour I would do a 70%. That is to get the 2 types of water, tank and tap, more similar.

If it is not very similar between the 2 - water changes should be more like 30%, another 30% and then even another 30%.

After the option which fits your water, then...

Check it out with a test, and then tomorrow, do more water changes until the nitrIte is 0.

Hello all!

Just wanted to stop in and update everyone. It’s been awhile.
So I am very thrilled to tell you all that Dodger and Mookie are doing exceptionally well. I couldn’t be happier. Thank you to everyone who helped with advice! I am thinking about getting them a bigger tank too! They are getting bigger and I want them to have all the room they could possibly need or want. They are my spoiled little babies. I am thinking maybe a 55 gallon tank. When that time comes, I’ll probably be reaching out to find the fastest and safest way to move them from the 29 gallon to the 55 gallon tank. I want to do it without stressing or harming them or their environment. Again thank you everyone!!!!!

Attachments

• 835EC548-9D9F-41D6-ACC6-A72E51F8422D.jpg
    835EC548-9D9F-41D6-ACC6-A72E51F8422D.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 293A9F9A-8462-4AFF-8014-95A15283D8E0.jpg
    293A9F9A-8462-4AFF-8014-95A15283D8E0.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 19
Yes. What great news!!!

So a 55G takes up 4 feet across.

Then a few other tanks are larger in gallons and still take up the same width. Allowing more room for the 2 you have, or any friend(s) which might want to join in the fun. Just some food for thought. It is an notable expense in getting a larger tank and then to have regret later of not getting a big enough one.

Of course that means more to clean. And usually more cost. But it seems you will have some time to think it over.

Just keeping excellent water helps these guys grow better. So happy you, and they, are happy.

Well I took the plunge and got a 55 gallon tank. Haven’t set it up yet but that is my adventure for today. I didn’t want to go any bigger than 55 gallons. I don’t plan on adding any more friends to the tank because these two already demand a lot of my time and attention and I don’t want to make them feel left out lol. When I say they demand it, I mean they literally come to the front wanting me to play and talk to them. They follow me when I pass the front of the tank. They are little clowns and hoard my attention. As soon as I open the bedroom door and say their name, no matter where in the tank they are or what they are doing, they haul to front and center, running into each other trying to get there. It’s hilarious. They try to get my finger through the glass too.
I just have one question before setting up the new tank. Will it help cycle faster if I use some of the water from the old tank when filling the new one or is that not necessary? I can’t set up the new one until the old one is removed due to space restrictions but I can put some of the older tanks water in a tote to transfer. Thanks everyone!

Using water from your old tank wont help at all. Very little beneficial bacteria is in the water.

So, your plan is to put your 2 fish in a bucket or tote, decommision the smaller tank, set up the new tank in its place and move the fish?

Can you run the filter on your smaller tank alongside the filter for your new tank? Thats the best bet for now. Run your old filter alongside the new one for 2 or 3 weeks. Any substrate, decorations etc you can move over will carry over some beneficial bacteria too. Make sure nothing dries out for too long between the move. Keep the items you want to move in a bucket of dechlorinated water.

Back
Top Bottom