Please help pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppygourami

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I found my plecostamus AND my angelfish dead today. My pleco looked very healthy before but I found him dead with white stuff around his mouth. I got my angel with red blotches around his/her cheeks yesterday I think and she died randomly. They both looked pretty healthy and I don't know what happened please help. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405445601.977604.jpg angel before ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405445623.781652.jpg pleco before ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405445640.719991.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405445651.850024.jpg pleco after

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

I got her from a breeder, T T Aquariums. They were recommended to me from another fish keeper but the fish didn't seem too healthy. I had to drive for almost two hours to get there so we had to get something. I got the angel and two mollies, one of which is pregnant as you know.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Do you know the tanks parameters?

What is your cleaning regime?

Are you feeding the right food?

Do you know of any aggression in the tank?

Answers to these might help in finding out what's going wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you know the tanks parameters?

What is your cleaning regime?

Are you feeding the right food?

Do you know of any aggression in the tank?

Answers to these might help in finding out what's going wrong.

I dorm know them, I'm leaving in about half an hour to go test them.

I change the water every week, about 30-50%.

I'm feeding them omega one micro pellets. The food is not rotten and pretty new.

No one in the tank chases another except for my white molly, who is pregnant, and is going crazy because of the babies.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

If I had to guess, it's not the mollies that were the issue. They haven't died, they are still gravid, and they look healthy. It might be an ammonia spike. Do a water change and then do a water test.

I dorm know them, I'm leaving in about half an hour to go test them.

I change the water every week, about 30-50%.

I'm feeding them omega one micro pellets. The food is not rotten and pretty new.

No one in the tank chases another except for my white molly, who is pregnant, and is going crazy because of the babies.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

You could really use a test kit, even the strips if the liquid tests are too expensive.

Just something that'll tell you what's going on.

You'll be thankful you picked one up if this continues to be an issue.

As ⬆️ said, it could be an ammonia spike.

I can't change the water now, I don't have the water ready. I'll set it aside and then change it. I'm going to the pet store in a bit to get it checked. Small white fluffy things are floating around where the pleco was lying dead. I'm removing them with my net.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

You could really use a test kit, even the strips if the liquid tests are too expensive.

Just something that'll tell you what's going on.

You'll be thankful you picked one up if this continues to be an issue.

As ⬆️ said, it could be an ammonia spike.

So should I go buy one at the place I'm going to to test it? XD I'm going to PetSmart and they said they'll test it but should I get a kit anyways or go to them often? I've never used one before, never had many problems with this tank.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

I can't change the water now, I don't have the water ready. I'll set it aside and then change it. I'm going to the pet store in a bit to get it checked. Small white fluffy things are floating around where the pleco was lying dead. I'm removing them with my net.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Then it might be Saprolegnia fungus. Fish usually get it after they're injured. Brackish salt helps to prevent that.

The molly is wiggling like crazy. I'm worried about leaving her alone while I go to PetSmart. I would go somewhere else but it's closest.

So I'm going to go pick up fry food, a fry net, brackish salt and the water testing kit, right? I'll get my water tested there too.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

The mollies look fine to be honest.

ok thank you:) I just thought that because the people at the store kept fish in bad quality tank and water. I saw a giant flowerhorn in a 6 gallon I swear. It's horrible what people do.

About the orange molly, should his tail be straight out? Why is the female picking at the bottom? The male is kind of doing it too so I'm have my suspicions...

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Yup. Also look in to getting an air pump, and an out of tank breeding box.

Amazon.com : Marina Hang-On Breeding Box, Medium : Aquariums : Pet Supplies

http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-77851-Whisper-Pump-10-Gallon/dp/B0009YJ4N6/ref=pd_bxgy_petsupplies_img_z

The pump moves fresh water into the breeder so the mother is never stressed, and theres a grate for the fry to swim under so the mother cant eat them.

Oh. Unfortunately I already have a breeder box made of mesh but yours seems better for the fry and the mother. I'm setting up the box now just for the fry, I wanted to put the mom in before but last time I tried doing that my guppy had an abortion and died:(:(:( This time I'm taking my chances and letting her give birth in the tank.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

[QUO TE=tali931;2991589]Did you feed the pleco veggies?[/QUOTE]

I tried feeding him zucchini and he ate it. He also eat the food pellets.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

I'm leaving right now to get the supplies, is there anything else I should get?

I have:
-fry food
-fry net
-brackish salts
-water testing kit

Possibly
-fry breeder box
-air pump for fry

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Back
Top Bottom