Please help with high gh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AuraBoyX

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am concerned about my 55 gallon guppy tank. I tested the GH and KH and (according to the instructions) the GH was sky high.

Just a bit of history... After alot of reading, discussion and thought I decided to slowly convert my new 55 gallon guppy tank to a 1.003 SG enviroment with Marine salt. I have been doing this very slowly over time... Currently it is 1.001.

My guppies seem to have randomly been falling victim to some illness where patches of their trunk seem to just become dead (necrosis?). In some cases they have just been dying or becoming paralyzed prior to dying. Keep in mind the majority of the fish are and have been okay. The illness just hits randomly one fish at a time.

This all prompted me to test my GH/KH... This is what led me to this post.

My tests are as follows:

PH = 7.0
KH = 3° (50 ppm)
GH = 37° (616 ppm)
SG (Marine Salt) = 1.001
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 40
Tank Temp = 78.4°

Can anyone shed some light on these readings? The guppys and the few bumblebee gobies in the tank seem to be fine... Yet according to the API instructions 37° is off the chart (some websites call it liquid rock). Could this necrosis on some of my guppies be mineral burns? Keep in mind my tap GH is only 9° so it must be the marine salt.

Please, any input is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Salt will effect your KH and GH. This is why a lot of brackish/salties use RO/DI.

As for the guppy illness, I'm not sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom