Please Help With Newer Tank WPs African Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aehilton

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I'm new to fish keeping and I am struggling with my WP. I've read many articles and have learned a lot in the last 2 months. I cycled a new 75-gallon tank for 16 days, and WPs looked good, so I added 13 smaller African Cichlids. I've had them in the tank for 3 weeks now. In the last two weeks, my levels have gone crazy. The past 7 days I have done two 50% water changes and dosed with prime and stability each water change. My levels are Ammonia 0, Nitrite 5ppm, Nitrate 80ppm. The Nitrites will not drop. We have an FX4 and a sponge filter in the tank. Should I be doing daily water changes? Or should i stop with water changes and dose prime and stability? Any suggestions would help. Thank you!

Do daily water changes to keep your nitrates under 40ppm and your nitrites as close to zero as possible. Your tank is not fully cycled yet. Your filtration is fine, but now your basically doing a fish- in cycle

Continue treating your water during water changes. It'll cycle eventually, but it might take another week or 2 to finish. Your about half way there. Feed sparingly during this time too and that'll help keep parameters in check

Back
Top Bottom