Please help with VERY weird acting fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So let me paint a picture for you.

I never had a tank before, so a friend at work decided to give me his 30g setup for free. It was a mess when i got it, only 3 fish, a danio, (I think) a goldfish and a (I think) cichlid.

So I did some research before I got the tank and read up on the cycle and such.

So i get the tank home, wash the tank with water only, rinse off the gravel, plastic plants, and the decorations in the tank with water only, i kept the filter that was in there and only rinsed the HOB filter out with water (it's an Aqueon 30 filter). i'm hoping with using all the "stuff" from the previous owner that my cycle would not go to crap and i would need to start all over.

So I'm doing the fish in cycle, no choice. First week all is good, my numbers are 0, 0, 0.

Second week also all good, my numbers are 0.25, 0, 10. So i do a 30-40% water change and add stress coat.

Here's where things get weird. Third week, my numbers this week are 0.25, 0 ,10. So I do a 50% water change with the gravel vac and add the stress coat. When the water was at 50% i did clean the inside of the glass with just a paper towel with the tank water. I also had to change the original filter, after cleaning it with tank water i was still getting water that was bypassing the filter.

I go to petsmart and pick up a new decoration (which is a bubbler also). I add the new decoration (which i forgot to rinse off before I put it in the tank) and also got one of the those magnetic inside/outside glass cleaners and that is staying in the tank.

So after all that my goldfish is acting CRAZY. The fish sit on the bottom of the tank sometimes swims around but it looks like it can't stay upright and is tilted to one side. Then all of a sudden the fish just goes ballistic, swimming REALLY fast up and down, if I didnt have my lid on the tank it would have been on the floor already, when thats all done it will go back to the bottom of the tank but it look like it doesn't know how to swim sometimes laying on it side on the bottom of the tank.

So after some research last night after the game most people say bad water-ammonia or to much chlorine. Ok so I add I little more stress coat, and add some aquarium salt (someone said it might help 4 tablespoon total). I let that sit overnight.

My wife says the fish is still acting CRAZY, she finally saw what i was talking about this morning. So I test the water this morning juts for ammonia and with the API master kit it says it between 0 and 0.25.

I dont know what going on with the fish, the other two fish seem normal.

Nick F

I have been keeping the tank at 75-76'F. I know that a little hot for goldfish but he has been in there for almost 3 weeks before acting this way and the tank was at this temp all along

It maybe that the Goldie is stressed by the water temp and the other fish?

I had a couple of little darty guys in with my fish as a temporary thing until I could return them to the lfs. My goldfish got completely stressed and wouldn't "talk" to me for a day.

I also know my fish don't like heat.

I highly recommend separating the goldfish from the other two in a coldwater tank.

Back
Top Bottom