please help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infamouz88

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've looked all over online but no luck. This is my first tank and im not aware of all sicknesses on freshwater fish. I bought 2 male guppies from walmart since that was the closest place from where we live. I cycled my tank and everything was fine. So when i bought the guppies i noticed they were on the top of the tank most of the time. I bought the guppies seeing them scared at walmart, i decided to give them a better home. But last night i noticed one of my guppies looking pregnant. On its left side his scales looking white and he cant swim properly. He tries swimming down but he floats up. He doesnt eat and keeps staying at the top corner. I feel bad and the only thing i was able to find as help was the aquarium salt bath. Does he have "dropsy" or is it just bloat? Please help idk if he will live without me trying to help. I got more fish and none of them are sick. My gf took water yesterday to petsmart and they said that the water was fine but ammonia was able bit high but still on the safe zone. Temperature is at 78. Any ideas? Thanks in advanced.

ForumRunner_20120526_182638.jpg

I know their might be answers out their but I just can't seem to find one that answers my questions. If anyone knows please help since its matter of life and death for my guppie

Maybe swim bladder or bloat. Unless your ammonia is at .25 or lower it's not safe, I would recommend buying an API master test kit so you know your parameters. If there is ammonia I would recommend a 50% pwc to be on the safe side.

I have no idea what is wrong with ur fish sorry. But I do know never to buy ur fish from walmart. I was at my local walmart today, 3 rows of tanks. 2 rows were tropical, and the bottom row was cold water (goldfish and what not). Every dang tank had ick, every single one. They even have green spotted puffers with african cichlids, tiger barbs with pictus catfish (which I know isn't good from experience), the list just goes on and on about walmart and their fish...............

I did a 30 percent today and added a bit of aquarium salt. My mollies and other guppie seem to like it. The sick one looks weaker, the filter just pushes him like the leafes our plants give out. I took him out and put him on a separate place to see if I can keep him alive. Just sad to see him suffer =\

To aaronjohn20: I was skeptical about buying fish cuz its true about what you said. This will be the last time I purchase from Wal-Mart. They are not very helpful and lack knowledge about the fish they carry. I just wanted to help those two guppies. The other looks happy and energetic. Just hoped this one would of been the same.

Please check out the links below. If you have any amount ammonia present, your tank is not cycled yet. Exactly how did you try to cycle your tank? A fishless cycle requires daily testing and the addition of an ammonia source to feed your bacteria. Because you have fish, your now beginning a fish-in cycle. A good water conditioner and liquid test kit (such API fw master test kit) are going to be necessities that you will need asap to ensure the health of your other fish.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

Thank you guys for your advice. I think it might have been something to do with ammonia since the associate in petsmart said it was a bit high but normal. Might have been a spike or just that Wal-Mart fish aren't well taken care of since my two mollies four ghost shrimp and a mystery snail are just fine. I appreciate all you guys input, thank you.

Guppie just passed... Couldn't do much for him. Got to buy the kit to try and keep the tank stable for the rest of the fish.

Sorry about your fish :( What size tank?. I wouldn't add any more fish at least until you can get the tank fully cycled and ammonia levels to stay at 0 (and a good liquid test kit :)).

I have the marinaland led 20 gallon with a bio wheel. We cycled the tank by leaving it for 72 hours with water conditioner fish-less. We only put in three plants to help with oxygen. Then we added two guppies and two ghost shrimp. Days later we added two more shrimp. 3 days later I took the water for testing and they said everything was fine but ammonia was a bit high but they said it was fine to add more fish so we bought two more fish, a Dalmatian Molly and a creamsickle Molly. I thought all was well till I noticed our first fish (guppie) bloated. So now I guess I have to do daily pwc till its stable.

Let the baggie float in the tank for 15 then add tank water gradually till they have been floating for an hour.

To ezy33: That's what I was thinking, I went to the pet store today and talked to an associate he suggested I buy ammonia detoxifier and some bio clear. They said to keep the fish and do a 10% daily water change for a couple days and return with tank water for them to test. I didn't have enough money to buy the 30$ test kit. I know its important but I'm waiting for my next check so I hope with these products and dwc my fish can stay strong and not stress.

Please read the fish-in cycle link I posted. Your tank is not cycled. Running a tank for 24hrs or 24days will not cycle it without an ammonia source. A fishless cycle takes anywhere from 4-8wks from scratch.

Without a test kit, I strongly suggest you change atleast 50% of the water daily if you want your fish to survive cycling. Make sure you temperature match & properly condition the water. 10% wcs will do nothing. If you can not afford a test kit yet, atleast buy a bottle of Prime or Amquel Plus to limit the toxicity of ammonia & nitrites. The bioclear is pointless to use. You can find the API test kit at Amazon for @$20. Your store employees are giving you very poor advice- there is no such thing as a 'normal' or 'safe' ammonia level except for zero. Any time the word 'high' is associated with the word ammonia in a tank of fish, theres a big problem that needs to be addressed. Please read the fish-in cycle link & start stepping up your water changes so your fish will stay healthy! :)

To jlk: took your advise and did a 50% water change. I used the tetra water conditioner and kordon amquel plus ammonia detoxifier. I bought the nutrafin bio clear because the assosiate said it was better then the API starter. Was going to get the Prime instead of the Amquel plus but was told that the ammonia detoxifier was better. I guess ill buy the prime soon since I've read a lot of good things about that product. Thanks for the links I will implement those instructions in my fish tank maintenance.

Glad to hear you are getting on the right track. :) Just for future reference, Prime detoxifies ammonia and also deals with any heavy metals in the water. Amquel plus deals with ammonia, but not with the metals. So, if you use Prime, you only need that one product but if you use Amquel Plus you need an additional water conditioner (like the tetra one you are using currently). Something to keep in mind when factoring out the cost of things. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom