Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dotty1993

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

Im new to all of this and really need some help. I purchased just a basic 30L on Friday, with an artifical plant and gravel and let the filter run for 2 days as instructed.

Purchased my fish on Sunday, only purchased 8 dalmatian mollys. I added my chlorine remover (again as instructed) and slowly introduced them to the water.

That evening I fed them their flakes which was told to buy and they were STARVING, and were every evening when fed but made sure I did not over feed them, and then Monday they were acting strange - they were VERY slow, swimming at the top, kept swimming sideways and upside down and just didn't look right, especially their fins. Yesterday when I got home from work, all bar 4 were dead (I think the rest are now when I get in unfortunatley..) My friend who has had experince with fish said it sounds like tail rot and to get back to the shop for a refund and complain.

When I purchased them I didn't get asked any questions or aything regarding the fish and their care which I was concerned about (not because of myself of course but because of others!)

Just wondering from experince/expert advice what anyone advises please?
I'm very gutted to have lost them - really loved having them even if it was for a few days!! :( :(

:thanks:

You need to have your water tested..
Running the filter for 2 days did very little good and nothing towards getting the tank cycled.
Likely your fish are dying from ammonia poisoning since the tank is not cycled..
I would learn to enjoy making 50%+ waterchanges quickly or let all the fish pass and cycle the tank fishless,which requires more then just running the filter.
You an ammonia source and it could take weeks.
You are looking atweeks of 50%water changes easily needed every other day right now with fish in tank depending how many are left..
To cycle with fish in the tank you must have a test kit for ; ammonia,nitrIte ,and nitrate...

Thanks to you both for the advice. Am going to go to a proper aquatics shop on the weekend and get some more information and what I need. Thanks again. End of thread.

Back
Top Bottom