Please Help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StickyTuba

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I got a 12 gal SW Nano-cube for Christmas and I set it up on the 22nd. It has been cycling and seeming to be fine.
I have some green and brown algae growth and it looks like my coraline algae is also growing.
I have asked a couple of questions regarding testing and water changes, etc. I did a small water change on the 28th. Probably about 2.5 gallons. This has cycled now for about two and a half days.
The levels in my tank are good. My LFS tested them for me and I have tested them since. My salinity was a tad high (1.028 compared to the other day, otherwise everything is good)
I was wondering if it would be allright to get my cleaning crew this weekend.
I have an Aiptsea anemone that I want to get rid of before it gets too large.

So I was looking at some peppermint shrimp and some snails along with hermit crabs. I have gotten some mixed responses in the past.

So, to make a long question short...

Can I get these additions tomorrow evening or is it still too soon?

A cycle usually takes closer to a month to complete. May I ask why you did a water change? Also, how large of an amonia spike, nitrite spike did you get? It could be that you have not really cycled yet at all. What did you use as the ammonia source to start your cycle?

Sorry,
I should also have said that I purchased cured LR when I started.
The reason behind the water change was because it was suggested by LFS.

I know that some LFS have a bad rap, but they have been absolutely wonderful and are very knowledgeable on SW tanks.
I did not get any ammonia or Nitrite spike that I know of.

If you need more information just let me know.

I would still give it a couple of weeks. If you add a few cleaners I would not start with a peppermint. Get something cheaper and hardier. Maybe three snails and three reef hermits to see how it goes. Givent he fact that you just started your tank less then a week ago, I am not sure if your cycle has had much of a chance to really get going. I just set up a 12 gal. nano deluxe. How did you arrange the three compartments in back. Did you end up using all the spnges, bio-balls and ceramic rings?

I have the same tank as you lando, I removed everything except for the sponge.
This was according to a friend who also has the nano deluxe and the LFS.

The reason I was looking at the peppermint was to get rid of the aiptsea anemone that I have growing.

I would still hold off on the peps for now. I only left one sponge in. They can cause nitrate problems. Basically, I filled up the two outside chambers half way with LR rubble. the middle chamber is complely full with rubble. I set one sponge on the top of the rubble in the first compartment and set heater, carbon and PH on top of the rubble on the last one. I also added a second PH to the tank and the flow was pretty weak.

Hey Lando,

Thanks for that great idea. I never thought of putting LR in the back compartments.
I will look into getting some in there.
Thanks a million

The LR rubble will provide you with even more bio-filtration while reducing nitrates. I get mine free from the LFS. It is what is left in their curing tanks. Make sure it is cured before you add it. It is the best filter media out there.

Back
Top Bottom