Please improve my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badambomb79

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I'm all over the place I was thinking of converting my 180g fresh to salt but there's alot of costs that go into that I don't want to pay into as of now. So now I'm jumping on the discus wagon I think these are gorgeous and will make up for not having saltwater fish. Anyways my tank looks like a barren wasteland so I would live suggestions on what to do to improve it while upgrading it to make it discus and schooling fish friendly.

Attachments

• image-3281635050.jpg
    image-3281635050.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 90
  • image-3256238205.jpg
    image-3256238205.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 100
  • image-1202575138.jpg
    image-1202575138.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 107
Well, you would have to get rid of all the African first. But if you wanted discus....you could get about 10 various discus, 15 neons or cardinals, and 12 cory cats. Or you could mix it up more, and do 5 discus, 5 angels, 10 neons, 2 Bolivian rams, and 8 cory cats. Discus and angels like slower moving water, with a lot of branches and roots. If you get a couple large branchy driftwood for the two sides and leave the middle open. Very tall plants that go from the bottom to the top are always good. Angels and discus like to swim in the open areas the retreat into branches and plants.

Some plants and a large piece of driftwood would look nice in there.

I think if you added a ton more rock and kept it as a cichlid tank it would be absolutely killer

Have you tried searching YouTube for 'discuss fish tanks' there are some amazing setups, I was looking at them on the weekend for ideas myself.

The gravel I have is brown and ugly I was thinking of switching to pool filter sand. Also would love a new background was thinking of painting it a color but not sold on black. I have no idea what kind of cichlid the camo looking one is picked it up at the lfs when it was small now it's huge haha

here are many things to keep in mind with discus that are different from other cichlids.

They like warmer water, mid-80s Fahrenheit.

They like lots of clean fresh, water and lots of water changes. I do 50% a day, some do 30% three times a week.

They like to be in groups of about 6 or 8 (a 50 gallon is a good size tank).

They don't do well with other fish in the tank (there are a few exceptions).

It is easier to keep the tank clean if it has no gravel.

Don't use carbon in the filter (this can lead to disease in discus).

Never put new discus in with old discus without keeping them separated (quarantined) for a while to make sure they are not sick and affect the other fish.

One of the most important things is to get from a reliable source. A good breeder will have healthy fish and good customer service (answer all questions, help with problems, even after the purchase).

A variety of food is good. I use flakes, live blackworms (from a good source, i.e. clean worms), some safe frozen foods like Hikari (sterilized) blood worms, some pellets (soak before using to prevent swelling up in the stomach), and frozen beef heart.

Keeping things stable is important. Don't add chemicals except to remove chlorine/chloramine. Messing with pH is usually not necessary.

Age water, that is, put the water that you want to use for the aquarium in a barrel a day before you want to use it for water changes. Use good aeration and set a heater at the tank temperature in the barrel. This is done if the pH of the tap water is not stable (if you check pH out of the tap, then let the water sit overnight and check the pH again and its different).

Back
Top Bottom