Pleco suddenly very active?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishinator

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a ten-gallon freshwater tank with three neon tetras and a single inch-long plecostomus (sucker fish). When I first got him, he acted kind of shy and would hide behind decorations whenever I would come by to watch.

Lately, I've noticed that he's been acting much more active, but there is one event that stood out. I noticed that my tank was starting to get full of algae, but the next day, it was totally clean. My mom said that she didn't clean it, and neither did my dad. All I noticed was that my Pleco's stomach seemed to be a bit bigger, so I think he cleaned the whole tank himself.

I was just wondering if this was typical pleco behavior and if I should be concerned.

Instead of simply telling him his tank size is wrong how about answering his question?
It sounds like you have quiet the cleaner on your hands! I have heard ofnit happening before so I think it is kinda normal. Plecos are very very shy when first introduced into a new tank.
Now the above poster is right. Your tank is about 15 times to small for him :( I recomend either getting a bigger tank once he hits 3-4 inches or taking him back and getting otocinclus :)

Yea, I apologize. The reason I started this hobby was because I did the same thing. Now hi have lots of tanks with beautiful plecos :) haha

Yea, I apologize. The reason I started this hobby was because I did the same thing. Now hi have lots of tanks with beautiful plecos :) haha

Its all good. I just feel for people because I remember being there lol red tailed shark, common pleco, and 8 other mix matched fish in a 10 gallon!

First try to find out what KIND of plec you have. Ten gallons is still too small, but you might not be looking at nearly as big of an upgrade if its something like a bulldog pleco vs. it being a common pleco. Also you'll want to figure out what caused the algae to bloom up that quickly.

Back
Top Bottom