Pleco swimming on top of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikey214

Aquarium Advice Freak
My pleco has been floating around at the top of the water but when I go to see if he is alive he swims away but he been doing it all day . . . What could it be ? :thinking:

Thoughts about this situation anyone ? Thanks in advance :)

From what I've seen, it's not all that unusual for plecos to visit all regions of the tank. What has you concerned exactly?

LyndaB said:
From what I've seen, it's not all that unusual for plecos to visit all regions of the tank. What has you concerned exactly?

He looks as if he is dead , he just floats around at the top of the tank never seen him do this :thinking:

LyndaB said:
what size tank and what are your params?

It's a ten gallon and we are deciding on what kinda pleco he is (see my other thread) after my 29 is cycled he will move over to the 29 gallon tank ! My params for the last week on the 10 gallon have been . . .
Ph - 7.0
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 40 ppm

I did a water change yesterday and have not check the params since

Oh yeah, so you basically bought the fish for your 29 but are keeping them in this 10 gallon tank until the 29 is cycled, right?

LyndaB said:
Oh yeah, so you basically bought the fish for your 29 but are keeping them in this 10 gallon tank until the 29 is cycled, right?

Yes , but he just passed away :/

I'm very sorry. Sometimes a species gets so stressed while they try to adjust to a new tank.

LyndaB said:
I'm very sorry. Sometimes a species gets so stressed while they try to adjust to a new tank.

I won't be purchasing another one until my 29 is all cycled , which pleco do you recommend for my 29 gallon tank ?

I'm hardly a pro at plecos. I do know that you need to be really careful with your choice when you have a relatively small tank. If I were you, I'd ask severum mama.

I see them at a lot of stores. I just bought one at Petco for $2.50. The albinos seem more common.

I would definitely recommend that you hold off on any more fish purchases until the 29 is cycled and established.

LyndaB said:
I would definitely recommend that you hold off on any more fish purchases until the 29 is cycled and established.

Yes definately what I was planning on doing !

Also known as "bristlenose pleco"
It will be fine in a 30 gallon.

And how did you acclimate the fish? Maybe you shocked him

tarpon said:
Also known as "bristlenose pleco"
It will be fine in a 30 gallon.

And how did you acclimate the fish? Maybe you shocked him

He has been in for a month probably can it take that long to die from being shocked ?

Back
Top Bottom