Pleco upsidown but alive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vienolac

Aquarium Advice Freak
As I was on my way out of the house to work
I noticed my pleco was upsidown!
I proclaimed to my girlfriend he was dead and she should fish him out, she poked him very lightly with the net. And he flipped over and swam off!?

Now. I'm super confused by this but I assume he is sick. So I told her to do a water change, I will do one late and get
Water quality posted.

Any information on this would be helpful. I tried to do online research before asking and alot say it is almost typical behavior. But I've never seen it before.

I proclaimed to my girlfriend he was dead and she should fish him out, she poked him very lightly with the net. And he flipped over and swam off!?

Now. I'm super confused by this but I assume he is sick. So I told her to do a water change, I will do one late and get
Water quality posted.

Any information on this would be helpful. I tried to do online research before asking and alot say it is almost typical behavior. But I've never seen it before.

My bnp likes to sleep on her back, the first time I saw it i thought she was dead!

Does he float to the top without any effort? If so, he has swim bladder problems/disease(SBD). I would suggest fasting him(no food) for 2-3 days. Then, feed him skinned peas. This is common when fed too much, ingested air or foods that are high in some type of ingredient.
I have little experience with pleco's, this might be a normal behavior.

Everyone of my plecos hang out upside down very seldom are they right side up

Well. Like I said the is the first time I have seen him do it...
But maybe I can fast then for a few days. And do a couple water changes.

Is he attached to anything or just upside down the middle of the tank

So I come home to find he doesn't know how to swim very well, he falls on his back. I put him in a breeder net because the other fish seemed to think he was food.

Anyways. Perhaps it is sbd. I will be fasting him
Here are the parameters
A : 0
Ni: 0
Na: 80
After wc
The na is somewhere between 20-40
I will be doing another water change here shortly. Just to have pristine water conditions.

Water quality posted.

Was he upside down on the top of the water or was he upside down underneath something ornimental in your tank?

I've got a panaque that like to hang upside down under a rock setting I have..

No, not on top of water.
No not under ornamental.
Just in the open. Upsidown on the bottom of the tank.
Is that clear?
Because this is the third time I have been asked that

Basically like he forgot how to swim,, like. Swim along and land upsidown. But not purposely. Struggle to get right side up.
But eventually make it

I debate weather he is alive or not anymore

image-1908226448.jpg

This Is how he has been for the last several hours.
But I imagine if he was dead his fins would not be flared up like they are

:(. He didn't make it.

I don't understand he was so healthy.
And now... Out of no where. Sick and dead

Back
Top Bottom