Pleco - What kind.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChristinaE12

Aquarium Advice Regular
I forgot to ask what kind of this was the other day when I asked about my other.

It just dawned on me I don't know what type this is. And I've had it in my 10Gallon for over a year by now. Don't even remember too long. Hopefully it's not the common.

Some LFS will sell you anything if they could and I want to be sure is all.

Hopefully this is coherent enough. I'm still waking up from IV Sedation. And can't think straight yet....

Attachments

• IMG_3206.jpg
    IMG_3206.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 110
I think he's a common, I got stuck with one too. Try to trade it at a fishstore, or findsomeone that wants a common and trade on here..

I couldn't tell you what kind it is but it's very beautiful

I agree with hippyguy, it's a common Pleco. He needs a bigger home fast or he will be stunted & damaged for the rest of his much shorter life.
No pun intended but, it's all to common for FS to sell Common Plecos without ever saying anything about how big they will get and the damage growing in a small tank can cause.

Ahh... Okay. It's what I figured it was, the more I thought about it. Just never payed close attention to it really.

What is the minimum recommended size tank for these? Like a 125 - which is cutting it close too even?

I got a 55g too but am sure isn't quite big enough either. Especially depending on who you are talking to. So how long could I keep this thing in a 55g until I need to upgrade or get rid of it. Typically.

I do plan on upgrading tanks whenever money allows me too.

Thanks all.

Id just put a forsale / trade ad on here, and see what you can get for him. He's just too big, and keeping him in a smaller place could harm him. I'm sure sooner betrter than later..

Ahh... Okay. It's what I figured it was, the more I thought about it. Just never payed close attention to it really.

What is the minimum recommended size tank for these? Like a 125 - which is cutting it close too even?

I got a 55g too but am sure isn't quite big enough either. Especially depending on who you are talking to. So how long could I keep this thing in a 55g until I need to upgrade or get rid of it. Typically.

I do plan on upgrading tanks whenever money allows me too.

Thanks all.
yep,125. its because of there length

yep,125. its because of there length

You should see a full grown Common Pleco swimming in a tank that's long enough. They are incredibly graceful swimmers. When all their fins are up & out, they are an awesome sight.
Which makes it even sadder to see one in a small tank and watching their spine curve as they try grow.
Common Plecos really need a long tank, not a tall tank.

Back
Top Bottom