Pleco's dying with Bloated Bellies Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neff11h4l

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today in my brothers tank he lost two plecos both had bloated bellies. They seemed to be doing well until this point.. I am attaching pictures. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMAG0286.jpg
    IMAG0286.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMAG0287.jpg
    IMAG0287.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 238
  • IMAG0288.jpg
    IMAG0288.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 292
  • IMAG0289.jpg
    IMAG0289.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 130
He was feeding them a decent amount i am not sure on overfeeding tho. Can they bloat from over feeding?

neff11h4l said:
He was feeding them a decent amount i am not sure on overfeeding tho. Can they bloat from over feeding?

Yep, or really bad food can cause the problem too. I think not feeding them or feeding garlic helps, but don't quote me on that, I'm not sure how true that is.

There are also different diseases that cause bloat.

Diet is important with plecos. Not all are algae eaters, with some being strictly meat eaters. Some need to have wood in the tank to gnaw on. Bloat can be caused by various diseases, as mentioned, or kidney failure.
With plecos, it is a good idea to ascertain their dietary requirements and feed accordingly. Planet Catfish or a pleco specific forum might be of more help than here.

Back
Top Bottom