Pleco's fins disapearing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxkolbe

Aquarium Advice FINatic
E have a twenty eight gallon bow front that has a large amount of driftwood, a cobalt blue cichlid, a yellow lab and a Pleco. Recently the Pleco's fins began disappearing and I can't figure out why. Could it be from a lack of food or maybe the other fish picking on him. Despite the fact that his fins are reduced to little more than spines he doesn't appear to have any trouble swimming. If you have any idea what is going on please tell me! There isn't alot of visible alage in the tank so that may be part of the problem.

It's probably being harassed by the lab and cobalt blue. Both of those fish require a bigger tank (4' min) with lots of decor to provide territories for each fish. What kind of pleco is this? Just to rule out any water quality issues, can you post your parameters?

We got the Pleco at either petco or petsmart and it was simply labeled Pleco. It is brown with darker spots so I think it is a common Pleco or a sail fin. I have never seen the other fish bothering it so I don't think that's the problem. Last time we checked the water was hard and alkaline but a lot of Tannin has leached out of the driftwood since then.

As a final note It's not actually my tank. It's my moms. We don't really have room for a bigger one so I need treatment Ideas.

Here's a photo of the tank setup.

Attachments

• image-2470090319.jpg
    image-2470090319.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 68
  • image-1033955154.jpg
    image-1033955154.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 72
Unfortunately our Pleco died so there really isn't any more point to this thread. Thank you to everybody who helped.

Back
Top Bottom