Plecos jumped out of tank help asap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarabenaglio

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I just joined the site out of desperation for my pleco. I have two giant (I think common) plecos, one being a foot long, the other 11 inches. Their both in a 100 gallon tank and two nights ago one jumped out. I'm not sure how long he was out for but my teacher put him back in (the tank is at my school) and the first day he seems alright- not really swimming, just sticking to the bottom of the tank. I moved him out of their and put him in a 20 gallon hospital tank with a strong filter and bubbler. Just to add more the this horrible situation, the filter stopped working overnight. Yesterday, the pleco was upside down not moving, but he was breathing. He did swim a little bit but not much. We did a 100% water change and filled the tank up 50% so we could better monitor the fish. He has abrasions all up and down his tail and belly, and has multiple broken fins. I am DESPERATE for him to pull through, and if it would be better for me to end his suffering- please tell me how. This is heartbreaking SO PLEASE HELP.

Hi, is the tank he is in cycled and are you monitoring the water chemistry eg ammonia, ph? Are you being gentle with the water changes.

I've had fish jump out (down 6 ft) and just back into the same tank. Keep the water clean with water changes and should be fine. Normally I change 30% each week but might do a mid-week one here. A 100% water change is a lot for the fish to adjust to.

20 gal sounds too small (tbh, I'm wondering on the 100gal as well). I'd keep tank at 100%, small / regular water changes, check water chem readings and you could try something like API stress coat (but clean water is key). Also I wouldn't have water flow too strong for him and would have the tank where there isn't a lot of noise.

Welcome to API Fishcare: STRESS COAT®

Plecos are sensitive to water changes and plecos that are 12 inches long are going to be very territorial towards other plecos.

Back
Top Bottom