Plexiglass tank, bowed in back.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it normal for the plexiglass tanks to bow? It's been like this for awhile now, but I'd assumed it was from the heat (heater and lights) and the rocks piled against the back. Only a few of the larger rocks are actually touching and the bow isn't bad, so I haven't worried about it... but should I? The front and ends are fine.

Incidently, the top has warped down a little bit in the middle, but I have a 1/4" glass top on it that I had specially made. Tap plastics advised me that any plexiglass top, no matter how thick, will bow from the heat, so they suggested glass.

I have a friend who has a plexiglass tank 6x2x2 and it has bowed bad. It is 1/4" thick. It is a name brand but I do not remember which one. My tank bows out 1/4" in the very center. It is 1" acrylic. I was told it would when I bought it so yes it is normal for it to bow some. You have to figure it has over 4000lbs of water in it so just about anything would bow some.

Back
Top Bottom