Plumbing for a 210g DT with 80g sump (pictures)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sneakerpimp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first SW tank and I have no idea about how to plumb it.:spin2:

The tank is an Aqueon drilled 210 and the stand is Aqueon classic mission.

The sump is an 80g custom with refugium.

The pump is a reeflo dart:
ReeFlo External Water Pump - Dart (3600GPH)

Protein skimmer is a vertex IN-280:
VERTEX AQUARISTIK

Here's some pictures of the set up:

The sump.

Should I have a T valve that flows water into the refugium area?

Any suggestions on how to plumb the tank would be great!

I just want to get it cycling and post pictures of it up and running!

Thanks!

It looks like you need to plumb both overflows to the area where the PS sits. The water level will rise over the baffle into both the refugium area and the return. What concerns me is that I see a bubble trap (baffles) in the fuge area but not in the sump return, unless the bulkhead for the return pump is in the area with the baffles and I have the two compartments reversed.

It looks like you need to plumb both overflows to the area where the PS sits. The water level will rise over the baffle into both the refugium area and the return. What concerns me is that I see a bubble trap (baffles) in the fuge area but not in the sump return, unless the bulkhead for the return pump is in the area with the baffles and I have the two compartments reversed.

Will having no baffles on the return area cause micro bubbles?

Dang.. i really love the design and quality of that sump. I want a sump like that someday.. :(

it looks to me that you plumb one overflow to the ps and the other to the fuge section,both then go to the return pump section.I would put ls and chaeto in the fuge section and bioballs and heaters in the return pump section.

I would run both into the skimmer chamber. If you do T, only divert a small amount to the ref. Low flow, no turbulence is the key. Esp if you take the above suggestion and put sand in there. If not, all that sand will get stirred up, into your pump and end up in the display. And do the durso's now, esp it you plan on T-ing. The back pressure is going to be up there.

Nice looking setup. Looks small for a 210.. Maybe God is tellin me somthing

Actually second thought, I would T it. In the end I may have everything going into the skimmer chamber but at least you have a choice without ripping it out. I wouldn't worry about bubbles after the skimmer baffles (unless you split the drain) IMO.

I would run both into the skimmer chamber. If you do T, only divert a small amount to the ref. Low flow, no turbulence is the key. Esp if you take the above suggestion and put sand in there. If not, all that sand will get stirred up, into your pump and end up in the display. And do the durso's now, esp it you plan on T-ing. The back pressure is going to be up there.

Nice looking setup. Looks small for a 210.. Maybe God is tellin me somthing

Actually second thought, I would T it. In the end I may have everything going into the skimmer chamber but at least you have a choice without ripping it out. I wouldn't worry about bubbles after the skimmer baffles (unless you split the drain) IMO.

So wait.. in a refugium.. you want as little flow as possible?

The flow is going to match the pump/drain specs since it's part of the sump. But slow (call it constant, non turbulent if you must). Either way, it's not somewhere you want 600 gph from a drain pipe crashing into. Again, IMO, IME

Yeah i see what you mean now. Alright then, good info to know. Thanks.

I have 2 sumps one for bio balls,heater,skimmer and return pump and the other for live sand and chaeto,i have approx 20% of water flow to the chaeto the rest to skimmer section with a 1 1/4" pipe connecting them.

Back
Top Bottom