plumbing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbarb1111

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just put in a 5 gallon fuge over my tank. The fuge has a mj1200 pumping water into it thru a 1/2 bulkhead 2 feet up. The drain is a 3/4" stand pipe gravity fed back to the tank. The drain is putting a LARGE amount of bubbles into the tank. Could this be because the the powerhead is pumping in too much water into the small tank. the water coming back into the main tank seems like it is moving too fast thru the fuge. Any suggestions or ideas to stop the bubbles. i have to buy a new powerhead anyway should i slow down the flow or do i have to change the plumbing

The problem is that the overflow back to the tank is encorporating air into the water as it returns to the main tank. You have to allow that air to escape somehow. After the overflow comes out of the fuge you could add a jog up to the level of the top of the fuge, over a couple of inches, and then back down to the tank. Just instead of 3/4 inch 90's at the top of the jogs, put 3/4 inch Tee's with the top open. That should allow the bubbles to gas off. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom