plumbing with PVC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigMike75

Aquarium Advice Regular
When you are using PVC around a fish tank do you need special cleaner and cement? Is purple primer and medium PVC cement fine?

Thanks

i always played it safe and got the more expensive aquarium safe stuff. I am not sure if the regular pvc cement would work. I would guess that the stuff for drinking water pipes would be OK. ??

Purchase the 'clear' primer and cement for pvc if you want to keep the plumbing looking clean :)

general rule of thumb is to be on the safe side, use stuff marked for "potable water", (drinking water)...cements like that should be safe if allowed to cure long enough because the cements are designed to be non leaching.

if you are dealing with resins and epoxies though, let the buyer beware, because there arent too many that are designed to be non soluable AND not leech any contaminants into water.

I never use the "purple primer" I think it's a crock of &^%$^&*! Just another way for the PVC people to make a buck IMO. I clean the pipe myself with rubbing alchohol and medium grit sandpaper before glueing. I've never had a problem doing it this way.....and I've been doing it for 20 plus years.

A lot of PVC cement isn't any good with pressured water as they are for gravity drain systems unless you use a whirlpool cement or use speed fit or John guest fittings which are pvc as well as I have

Reun is correct, any solvent saying "potable water" is safe to use. As far as PVC glue, i use "christy red hot blue glue" and i do use primer only when needed, in other words when its a high water pressure line, and its only to be on the safe side, you shouldnt need to use on any plumbing for the tank. As far rubbing alchohol and medium grit sandpaper being used....waste of time. I know this glue Christy Red Hot Blue Blue is sold at Home Depot but be aware when useing this, it bonds very quicky and can be used with in mins. no need for a 24hr drying time.

Just a note, i am a plumber and i work with water all day long, no saleman for home depot and any other product. My time is money and wasted time is throwing money out the door and thats why i say " rubbing alchohol and medium grit sandpaper being used....wasted time." not here to upset anybody

Back
Top Bottom