Pogostemon Broadleaf question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandoborg

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Folks, I have a quick question about some Pogostemon Broadleafs I have in my 29. It seems that they always grow 4-6 inches out of the substrate with no leaves, then fill in as they get taller. I run a Finnex Ray 2 on a 3 on-2 off- 4 on cycle and dose PPS every other day with CO2.The plants themselves are fine, green and healthy, they just look funky with these long stems and only leaves at the top. Even when I ' top' them and replant, they become all stem again !! Is this how they normally grow or is it my system ??

Thanks for any info.......... seems the ones I see on the web have leaves up the entire stalk so I'm thinking I might not have strong enough lighting for this particular plant.

Jim

The Ray2 should provide decent lighting. How much spacing is allowed between stems? I'm thinking shading from being planted too closely might be the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Plants will sacrifice lower leaves in favour of new growth that is closer to the surface where more light and co2 is available.

Different plants have different co2 requirements and I'd edge my bets and say it is trying to access more carbon. The sooner we understand just how important carbon is in a planted tank the better :)

Increase co2 dosing to once a day and take it from there.

Good luck ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom