Poll: Do you run GAC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you regularly run GAC in your reef tank?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

zenn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have always thought that most people did not run GAC in their SW setups.
But I'm curious to find out how many people do. If you answer yes, please
tell us the method you choose to use the GAC(ie, powerfilter, custom, etc).

In a tank without live rock, carbon should always be in use 24/7. In a reef set up...a tank with live rock support, should have much less exposure to carbon. Reef grade for a week once a month I've been told is well enough without depleting trace elements. Word is, carbon may absorb a large portion of the system's needed trace elements making a need for frequent dosing of additional chemical additives (trace elements).

TCTFish said:
In a tank without live rock, carbon should always be in use 24/7. In a reef set up...a tank with live rock support, should have much less exposure to carbon. Reef grade for a week once a month I've been told is well enough without depleting trace elements. Word is, carbon may absorb a large portion of the system's needed trace elements making a need for frequent dosing of additional chemical additives (trace elements).

sort of confused by what you said. So using carbon 1 week per month in a reef may absorb large portions of trace elements? The last sentence you said carbon can deplete trace elements thus bringing the need to dose trace elements....are you referring to the 24/7 usage of carbon in this sentence or the 1 week per month usage?

I'm referring to the 24/7 usage depleting trace elements.

Running reef grade carbon for a week once a month will help keep toxins absorbed as the carbon does, but not in there all the time to rob trace elements out of the system.

Hope that cleared it up for you :)

I use reef carbon about 1 week once a month to help absorb any toxins. My Xenia responds a lot better when I do that.

Running reef grade carbon for a week once a month will help keep toxins absorbed as the carbon does, but not in there all the time to rob trace elements out of the system.

I do this too. It seems to help, but the rest of the time, I use Nitrate Sponge, filter pad, and a bag of reusable Purigen. Since I like to clean the purigen bag out once a month, that is when I slip in the carbon cartridge.

How do you guys put the GAC/chemi-pure/etc into your systems? Do you use a powerfilter? I have an 18g sump with 3 compartments for rubble/skimmer, fuge and return pump. How do i integrate GAC into my system?

I woudl prefer to keep it in the sump. I have an old whisper power filter that i could possibly use from my RW days.

Chemi-pure comes in it's own mesh bag. You just rinse in RO/DI water and place it in your tank. I put mine in my sump just before the return pump. In my nano it sits in the first filter chamber in the filter compartment.

I would not run my tank without it. Especially when considering many people keep "garden" style reefs w/ corals that normally would not be so close together in the wild-let alone the diminished water capacity in an aquarium. For example, soft corals(Sinularia, etc.) are notorious for emitting chemicals into the water column that are toxic to other soft and/or stony corals-especially SPS's. I've noticed that when I don't use GAC for a short period my skimmer starts producing more skimmate, and the water clarity declines. GAC, regular PWC's, along w/ a good skimmer, and you will be much better off.
AFAIK, from what I've read, GAC depleting trace elements is a non-issue. If it does absorb any, the amount is negligible. Most experienced hobbiest agree GAC is a good thing regardless of whether you have a reef, FO, or FOWLR.

Back
Top Bottom